Sunday, August 30, 2009

Salt Lake Outing


My youngest sister, Jaime, and I were able to spend the day in Salt Lake last week thanks to my ever-generous mother who watched our kids. We were able to go to the temple and see the 2009 International Art Competition at the Conference Center. It was such a splendid day. Oh, I don't think I mentioned that we ate out twice that day. We sure did.

Aside from Jaime's wedding, I had never been inside the Salt Lake temple. It is incredible to see especially to think of the labor that went into building it- without the help of power tools, cranes, or computerized architectural renderings. It was mind-boggling. I loved being there with my sister.

We wandered through art exhibits at the Church History Museum, as well as the Conference Center. When we first arrived to see the art competition winners on display at the CC, we stayed together, looking at each piece and talking a little about each one. But soon we had split off from each other, meandering and admiring individually.

We barely talked the rest of the time we were there, and didn't admit until later in the day the reason for this. It turns out that both of us were so full of emotion viewing the exhibit, that we were embarrassed to try to talk to each other for fear of bawling uncontrollably. Truly, it was a spiritual experience. I know that the arts are a powerful form of communication that cross all boundaries. Looking at artwork created on the other side of the world, and feeling so deeply a message the artist was sending was a moving experience. We all share joy and pain in this mortal experience, and there is so much beauty to be found all around us. Again, I'm glad I was there with Jaime.



Here is an example called "Windows of Heaven" by Emilie McPhie. And here's the description that hung next to the painting. (Which was so beautiful, by the way-- photos don't do it justice. Can you see what she's doing? Knitting a sweater for her daughter from the yarn of her own sweater.)

"One day I was left alone with my little girl and my baby. As I ventured downstairs to make lunch, I thought about how all-consuming babies are and how my life had been turned upside down. I thought, “Who in their right mind would choose to have a baby, considering the money and time required, lost opportunities, adventures not taken, and ambitions set aside.” Divine intervention was needed for me. I set a sandwich in front of my darling daughter, and she looked up at me through her long lashes with her big blue eyes. It hit me—it took my breath away and brought tears to my eyes. It was as if the windows of heaven opened through her eyes and poured out love and light. Children are a precious gift. It is an honor and privilege to be their custodian for a time. I want to remember this every day. I want to feel this every time children look at me."

5 comments:

Jenni said...

Sounds like a wonderful day.

Mrs B said...

Thanks again. It was a cherished day.

Sarah said...

You are so lucky to be so close to your sisters and mom. What a fun day. And thanks for posting the description of that painting. I needed to read that today. Well, probably everyday.

Brittney said...

where can i get a print of that painting? wait, i want three prints -- one for me and one for each of my girls.

honestly. my eyes are a little teary at reading that and seeing the painting. beautiful.

Laura said...

I went to the art competition once a couple of years ago and got pretty emotional looking at a painting there. It was of James Kirkwood who was with the Martin Handcard Company when he was 11 and carried his 4 year old brother, Joseph, all the way to Salt Lake. James died as soon as they arrived in the valley. It got to me because that is the same age difference between Jacob and Derrick and I know that Jake would do the same for his little brother if he had to. Those pictures can be very moving. I understand.