Monday, September 7, 2009

Sad times.

Here's Finn with a gigantic sock on his leg. The gigantic sock is covering up the gigantic splint which he will be wearing until his newly broken leg is casted tomorrow.

My poor baby! I can't believe this happened, but I guess it was only a matter of time before some bone was broken in a house full of boys.

Finn loves to climb on everything. The higher the better. On Friday, he climbed, as he often does, up onto the dining room table to grab the markers Owen was using. I was watching from the kitchen and saw him try to get down onto a chair to get off the table, but misjudged where he was, and found no chair beneath him to stand on. So he slid off the table, scraping his chin as he fell. He cried and cried and cried, and I felt so bad, thinking that sure must have hurt his little chinny. He went down for a nap right after this, so it wasn't until later in the day that I realized he was really favoring his right leg. He wouldn't put any weight on it at all, and cried when I lifted it up to change his diaper, etc.

I had a hunch it was broken, but we waited and watched for awhile, debating whether or not we wanted to pay big bucks for x-rays if it was nothing but a bruise or something... It's so hard to know! But by Sunday, I knew something was wrong, and in fact told Jason I thought his right fibula was broken. I know people thought I was crazy when I told them my suspicions while we were at church. Finn was crawling all over the place just fine! But I finally convinced Jason to take him into the Instacare that afternoon. He called me soon after with the report: Broken fibula, and possibly fractured tibia as well.

He's looking at 4-6 weeks with a cast up to his bum. Should be a lot of fun for him. (And us.) So far he is able to get around just fine, and has gone right back to his old ways of climbing up on high objects. Didn't learn his lesson, I guess. He's so mad because he can't take a bath and can't get up on his rocking motorcycle. Poor kid. I'm also sad about this interfering with his newly found walking skills. Drat.

8 comments:

Mrs B said...

It really is amazing you've made it this long w/out a broken bone. Mr P is soon to follow, I'm sure... Sorry though-- so crummy!

Jenni said...

Poor little guy. So sad.

Brittney said...

oh finn. what a good sport he is. good luck!!

on the bright side...your arms are going to display some serious tonage, toting a kid around for the next few weeks!

hope he heals quickly.

Jenn said...

My heart goes out to Finn, and you. You know how resiliant kid are though! He will make the best of I'm sure. I should send you pictures of me with both my legs casted when I was two! I found a way to get around, I know Finn will too!

Julie said...

Are you sure they aren't just trying to make one leg longer than the other? That cast thing was HUGE. So glad this story has a happy ending...no cast!

Laura said...

Poor Finn! In this house full of boys, we have done stitches, staples, overdoses, things stuck in the nose, allergic reactions, croup, heads stuck in chairs, and every other ailment and injury you can think of..except for broken bones. I'm sure its to come, so I'm feeling pretty bad for you right now. Hang in there!

Andrea said...

so sorry about finn -- hard age to not be able to move around as you like. but isn't also amazing how resilient they are? i wish i were so tough and able to bounce back...

Megan said...

Poor little guy! I can't believe that you have not had any other broken bones in the Lambert family of all boys! I was babysitting for a family, which I did often for them, and the kids were rough-housing and the baby, about Finn's age broke her leg. It was horrrrriiiibbbbble. Luckily the mom asked me back again. Seeing your little guy in such a huge cast brought back memories. :) P.S. He will probably stuff toys and food down there. Good luck. Ha ha!