Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Buffalo Run 50-Miler.

Last Saturday, Jason accomplished something truly incredible.  He ran 50 miles.  Yes, you read that right.  He ran 50 miles on Antelope Island in the Great Salt Lake.  And he paid to do it.  Really, I was so proud of him.  Of course I shed a wee tear at the finish as he gimped and grimaced across the line to accept his prize:  a mug.  Never in my wildest dreams would I consider such a challenge.  Fortunately, I can live vicariously through my amazing hubby.

Here are some photos of the day.  I really love Antelope Island.  It's got to be one of the most beautiful and other-wordly places you could find anywhere.  The sky and water are always breathtaking there.  The sky that day was overcast, and the weather was chilly- perfect running weather.  It started to rain just as Jason finished, and soon thereafter really began to pour.  Thank you, Mother Nature, for holding back.

Another thing about Antelope Island:  I find it very unnerving to be in any kind of close proximity to bison.  Fortunately we only saw them at a great distance.



Those specks behind us are buffalo.

We had fun cheering for other runners, blowing party horns and clapping.  Finish lines are always emotional places for me, but especially watching people who had just finished running all day long.

I wonder if this was the rescue posse.

Our dear friend, Adrian Toledo, crossed the finish line about an hour ahead of Jason.  Way to go, Adrian!


We were sooooo happy and relieved to see him at the end of this long road.  The boys ran down to greet him.  His faking happiness in this photo.  He was in a LOT of pain.

Official finish line!

Our own personal finish line!

The boys were thirsty after all that cheering.

It was so fun to have Linda and Elizabeth there with us.  That was one proud mama.  

Jason's souvenir sunburn looked awesome the next day as he spoke in church!
WAY TO GO, JASON!

4 comments:

Becca Hatch said...

I can't think of ANYTHING I could do for 12:42 other than sleep, read, or eat candy.

Tell Jason he is badass.

Unknown said...

Woo-Hoo Jason!

Megan said...

Amazing! I have some friends that have started running in marathons......not sure if I got it in me! How about you!? Oh, and I love the shot of his sunburn! Awesome!! :)

Julie said...

My question is, did you hang out at the island for 12 hours? If so, you are the real hero here!