Monday, June 24, 2013

A visit from a dear friend. October, 2012

When I worked for the Girl Scouts in Montana during college, I had the incredible fortune of meeting an awesome girl from Scotland.  Her real name is Gillian, but her camp name was Laser.  There were a few members of the LDS church at camp, and Gillian had questions for us before the summer was over about all sorts of things, including the church.  I feel so lucky to have shared a summer with her.  She taught me many things about friendship and really was my first international friend, therefore expanding my world.  I was able to teach her a little about our faith during our time together, though I honestly couldn't tell you what it is I said to her specifically.  It was such a long time ago- I always get a little nervous about times gone by, wondering what I said or did for good or bad... BUT, thankfully, somehow I was able to say something that touched her heart.  She ended up moving to Utah and joining the church!  And now look!  She has this beautiful family: her husband, Bill, and two daughters, Rebecca and Abigail.  They live in Tooele, which means we should see each other more, but sadly, this was our first reunion since Bennett was a new baby! My heart was so full during our visit.  She is so happy, and is such a good mother.  I am forever grateful for our friendship.
Since Gillian is Scottish, I made Owen play his chanter for her.  :) He loves it when I do this.  Actually, I really think he does, secretly.
Happy family!
Before they left, Bill made a speech about how I am the reason they are a family today.  It really astounded and humbled me! I have to say I felt almost embarrassed by his words!  I do not take credit for her conversion at all, in any way, though it touched me deeply that he would say or feel that way.  I just feel like we were brought together for a reason, and I'm happy I didn't mess up in sharing the good news of the gospel with this amazing woman. Is this how a missionary feels?
Love you, Gillian!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is beautiful Brooke. I have no doubt you are the reason for her conversion, because you live a very full, honest and compassionate life. What a lovely post.