Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Chicken Tenders and Tender Mercies.


Love can be found in the most random places.  Sometimes it can even surprise you at KFC, which is where I found it tonight.  Allow me to elaborate.

Jason is out of town for a couple of days, and one way that I cope with him being gone is going out to eat once during the time he is away.  Tonight was the night.  Of course I don't want to take the kids anywhere nice.  But we're trying to stay away from fast food.  So we drove around for a few minutes, thinking, thinking.  Owen asked, "What's that place over there?" and pointed to KFC.  We'd never been there, so I thought we could try it out, though it is not my first choice. (Sorry, Kate.)  My intention was to stay in the car, drive through, and eat at home since it's too cold for a park.  However, when we pulled up to the window, I had absolutely no idea what to order or what anything on the menu was since we hadn't been there in recent memory.  So I ended up pulling through the drive-up and parking so we could go inside.

The kids were oh-so-excited about their laptop meals.  It took forever to order, and by the time I had finished, there was a massive line behind us.  I felt like I was holding up the world, though it wasn't really my fault; the cashier girl was just very... thorough.  

As I ordered, Jake started crying out about dying of thirst, so I held him while I finished, and then carried him and sleeping Finn (in his car seat) to a table.  I felt so many eyes on us as I lugged the kids across the place.  Not  mean eyes, but eyes nonetheless. 

The kids had beautiful behavior for a full 10 minutes or so.  Then things began to unravel, as they always do.  Jake fell off his tall chair.  His wailing woke up Finn who joined the chorus. Owen was asking over and over how to figure out the word games on his laptop meal, while I tried to console Jake, shovel food in Finn's mouth, and clean up our mess.  I just wanted to get out of there so bad.  I remained pretty calm outwardly, but inside I was raging.  In those situations, I wonder if people think any of the following:

a.  She obviously has too many kids.  
b.  She has no control over her kids. 
c.  Why on earth did she bring all those kids to dinner by herself?
d.  When are they leaving?

Maybe they were thinking all of the above.  I just threw everything in the garbage can and picked up Finn, ready to run, when an older man walked up to me and touched my arm.  (Here is where I get really emotional, just remembering his face.)

He said, "I just want to tell you that you are doing a good job." He patted my arm and really looked into  my eyes as he said it.  "Look at these good boys!" he laughed, "Hello boys!"
Bennett and Jake said hello, and Owen stepped behind me.

"Well, I always know when it's time to go," I said, my eyes almost-- ALMOST filling with tears, "We always make a memorable exit."

"Oh no," he said, "You just enjoy this.  You are doing a wonderful job.  It just takes me back, and I had to come over here and tell you how I admire you."

I thanked him sincerely and told him goodbye before heading out the door to cry.  My heart was over-flowing.  Seriously, who was this guy?  An angel?  Really, I think he was.

I smiled at my boys, now happy and darling again.  I was astonished at the 180 my attitude had taken.  Of course as soon as I opened the door, the boys ran out across the parking lot like I had never taught them a single word about cars and safety, and I got a crusty look from an old lady backing out.  

It seems like a dream when I think about that man saying the things that I needed to be told.  I am so glad Owen wanted to go to KFC.  Good choice, Owen.  Angels eat at KFC.

10 comments:

Jami said...

Thank heaven for angels! Truly.

Mrs B said...

Awww. I'm teary just reading it. Man, angels just seem to know when we need them, don't they? And you ARE doing a good job!! A marvelous job!!

Becca Hatch said...

I agree with your angel- you are a great mom.

What do you have against KFC anyway? I don't have a single problem with it except for I don't like meat on the bone. Or cooked skin. Or coleslaw. Other than that, I'd eat at KFC every night.

Andrea said...

isn't it nice how one out-of-the-way pat-on-the-back can soothe the hurt of a hundred glares? we should all be more like your angel...

Unknown said...

Brooke, that is beautiful! I'm tearing up with you. You are a wonderful mother and I'm so glad someone was there at the right time to tell you so!

mrs.d said...

This gave me chills. Y-O-U = my idol of motherhood. Not kidding. I hope I can take Madelyn on half of the adventures you continually treat your kids to. I've said it before and I mean it! Isn't it wonderful when people have the courage to share their kind thoughts?...and to have kind, vs. unkind thoughts in the first place. Imagine if more people did it more often. My Grampa always said the way to live simply and happy was to "JUST BE KIND." What a difference it makes! I'm so glad you skipped the drive through and went inside! Hooray for angels enjoying fried chicken and biscuits!

Megan said...

Wow. I got tears in my eyes just reading that. I want to be just like that man when I get older. He was so sweet to tell you that, and he could have just let the moment pass. People like that truly are angels. Thanks for sharing.

val said...

I admit i usually dont read anyone's long posts (in fact i read it yesterday but was disrupted & had to comment today!)-mainly because of a crazy 1 year old but you know bushell's and kfc so I had to read. my eyes teared up which is a great feat (Im not a crier). have had similiar experiences with two one year olds and a 6 year old but never with the sweet encouraging words-you ROCK!

Audrey Seymour said...

oh Brooke! I have to say that I admire you so much too! You are such a positive person and you make everyone feel like this angel made you feel. You are an angel to many! HAng in there girl! It's tough to be by yourself so often and raise 4 boys! and you have done a wonderful job! NExt time try taking them out for a picnic in the park: running wild and eating watermelon! :)

Chala Chronicles said...

Well written brooke! All of us mothers can relate to that story in some way or another! You are an amazing mom!!~ I would love to have the patience and love you have for your boys for my kids! How do you do it all and still stay so amazing?!