Thursday, December 20, 2007

Out of the mouth of a babe.


I love Bennett. He cracks me up! We have had a few funny conversations and incidents over the last little while, and I wanted to share them.

First, when I went to volunteer in Bennett's classroom this week, his teacher pulled me aside and said, "I need to ask you about something Bennett told the class yesterday." Oh, man. I could only imagine what might be coming.

She said, "Bennett told us all that his Grandma taught Elvis how to dance." She thought it was the funniest thing she'd heard in a long time, and called all her children all over the country to tell them.

I explained to her that he didn't pull that out of thin air. We were actually listening to Elvis' Christmas album, and as my mom danced around the room singing, my sister-in-law, Kate, told all the kids that Grandma taught Elvis how to dance.

Moral of that story: Be careful what we tell Bennett. It will undoubtedly be shared with his entire class, both at school and church. Fortunately for us, this story was fairly harmless.

Second: We went for a little evening Christmas shopping trip at Fred Meyer a.k.a. Smiths Marketplace the other night. The boys were hungry, as they had declined to eat much of my tasty enchilada dinner earlier in the evening. They thought it was too mysterious. So, just North of Fred Meyer is a McDonald's, which was all lit up and looking festive. When Bennett saw it he said from the back, "I really want a cheeseburger!" (Don't we all? I thought.) I answered him, "Bennett, we just had dinner," to which he answered, "I know! I want it for dessert!" I laughed so hard for so long. He didn't think it was funny at all.

Third, inside Fred Meyer, Bennett and Owen needed to use the restroom. I waited outside for them with our cart of stuff and Jake. I insisted, much to their chagrin, that they go into the women's bathroom so I could come and check on them.

"WHY?" Bennett demanded, "I know how to use the stand-up kind in the boys' bathroom!"

"Because," I answered, "I don't know if there is a creepy guy in there, and I want to be able to come check on you."

Off they went to the girls' room, grumbling all the way. When they came out, Bennett informed me, "Mom, you thought there would be a creepy guy, but there was a CREEPY GIRL! She looked inside Owen's stall at him!"

I asked, "Was his door closed?"

"No."

"What did she say?"

"She said, oh, sorry!! But still, it was creepy."

1 comment:

Jami said...

I love Bennett! He is going to make such a fun and humorous son-in-law someday!