Saturday, May 17, 2008

True Love

Here it is: the birth story. No, no, nothing graphic. Don't worry. If you want the details, come on over and we'll talk more. But the sweetened, condensed version is this: I went natural. For real. One of my biggest life goals accomplished! I am aware that many of you readers think I am nuts for wanting to do this, but it's true. I have always wanted to. Some people want to run marathons, some want to climb big mountains, and I wanted to give birth with no medicinal help. It didn't work out that way for the last 3 deliveries, and since this is probably our last, I decided to go for it. I had great support from Jason and my doctor as well, which is important. And I did it!!! I can hardly believe it, because I really am a weak sissy. Would I do it again? No. But I did it once, and I'm really happy I did. (Thanks to all my "au natural" friends who encouraged me to try it. You know who you are.)
This is the tiny heart tattoo on my wrist Owen insisted on putting on me the day I went into labor. I looked at that thing all through the long night of slow-moving labor, and it calmed me down and warmed my heart to think of my little Owen.
We just can't stop staring at this sweet boy... He is so precious; every little finger and toe is a miracle!
Jake's favorite way to help is to give Finn his binky. What a big boy!
THANK YOU everyone for the flowers, love, wishes, care, food, gifts, and help with the other kids... It is so appreciated.

9 comments:

Jami said...

Oh Brooke he is absolutely amazing and quite frankly so are you (well, I am still tossing the word CRAZY around as well but....)

I am so glad he is here safe and sound. I have been checking daily thinking you must have gone WAY overdue so I am glad he came on Tuesday and not just last night.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Andrea said...

woo hoo! congrats! and au natural -- very impressive. maybe i'll get a chance to meet him when i come visit logan next week...

happy for you and that you're all doing well. you're amazing!

Becca Hatch said...

Way to be a birthing soldier! I myself figured I might as well get the drugs during the birth, since an epidural would be unavailable for the next 18 years of Kate and Maggie's lives.

Sarah said...

Congratulations! He is beautiful. So glad everything went well and you pulled off the whole natural thing. Impressive!

Tracy Helgeson said...

Yayy!!!

I knew you could do it, silly!!

The benefits of natural birth will stay with you forever and it's even more awesome that you hung in there kept trying for it.

Congrats!

Guess I should get going on another sweater, maybe two as I think I missed the last one, I just can't keep up with you, Brooke:)

Julie Church said...

Congratulations to you both! Ok I admit I got teary looking at the pictures of that perfect little boy. You are so very blessed! Look at that amazing family of yours. And I am happy for you to accomplish such a lofty goal as natural child birth. I felt labor pains for a half hour and was crying for drugs!

Jenn said...

Brooke, you are Wonder Woman! A true inspiration, not just for going natural but for the beautiful way you raise your boys. I love you and miss you deeply and am so happy for you and your family. Jason you are a pro for helping brooke through that. Jeff would have begged me to get drugged if I didn't agree myself. Finn is amazing!

Sandra said...

My most heartfelt congratulations to you and your incredible family. He looks like another perfect addition to your clan. Welcome to the club of natural childbirth. You have earned bragging rights for the rest of your life. Way to go. I'll be there in a few weeks. I expect to see that new little guy while I'm there. Take it easy (as much as a mother of 4 little boys possibly can). I'll see you soon. :)

Brittney said...

congratulations, my dear strong inspiring friend. he is absolutely beautiful. and, as i've told you, "finn" is an absolutely PERFECT name. welcome, little one!

it's not too soon to start printing up yet another set of engagement announcements, right? i mean, jake & layla have had their time. let's move onto finn and, uh, my little "lady x."

you are amazing.