Thursday, August 28, 2008

Ch ch ch ch changes...


Don't you love the first morning you wake up at the end of summer and realize you don't want to get out of bed because it's just a little bit chilly out? Mmmmmm. Love it. The weather has cooled down to perfection, and not a moment too soon. Dad and I were moving some items into my brother's Lee's new apartment last Saturday near USU campus. Dad mentioned that he loves finally feeling that cooler breeze that means fall is just around the corner, and suddenly I felt it too! Autumn is fast approaching. Break out the sweaters!

This time of year also brings a mom's mixed emotions of sending child off to school. Having Bennett in first grade means he is gone from 8-2:30 every day. It's so exciting, but also so hard for me. He loves his teacher and is having fun with new and old friends. It's just me worrying.

My favorite thing right now is to lay by him at night when he is sleepy and more willing to talk about his day. I love hearing about all the intricacies of life in the first grade; some of it is hilarious, and some of it is heartbreaking. Like the little girl, Jocelyn, in his class who speaks no English, has no friends and sits alone at recess! We talked about some ways that he could make her feel welcome even if they speak different languages. He wondered out loud what it would be like to be in a classroom where you don't understand what anyone is saying, and you don't have a friend. Bennett noticed me crying as we talked about her, and I surely didn't need to explain why. He is anxious to try smiling and saying hello to her at school tomorrow. I am interested to hear more about Jocelyn and see how her year goes. I hope she'll make some little friends SOON! Bennett will keep me posted, and I'm excited to meet her when I start volunteering in their class next week. So see... there's a lot more than academics being learned in first grade. I am glad for Bennett's sensitivity, and also his extreme brilliance. :)

ALSO happening at Bennett's school is... drumroll please... a new art program! That's right! The excellent new principal has set aside a short period of time each week for art. All children will get art every week this year! This is huge! The best part for me is that I have been able to take part in planning the new program. It has been so fun, and I am happy to have a background in art education so I can be useful. Bennett had his first art class today, and really liked it. He was surprised when he found out that I had planned his art project. Cool!

6 comments:

Mrs B said...

I can't believe how old he looks! He looks like maybe Weston or John in this pic. So handsome. So grown up. & such a sweet little tenderheart.

mrs.d said...

This is why I LOVE your kids, and hope mine will be just like them!..so sweet to see them gain confidence from being kind to others!! I think that tender little heart we talked about during my home visit a couple of years ago is turning out to be quite a blessing! I was so glad to see a few of your boys yesterday! Hope the hair turned out well--I love the feeling of 'new' hair!--mine is in serious need of some help! Hope to see you soon! Love you guys!!

Unknown said...

That is very sweet of Bennett, and I know he'll be a good friend to Jocelyn. I'll try to peek in from time to time to see how she's doing too. The art program is phenomenal, Sophie's class loved the project you designed for them!!

Jenni said...

I wish I had you planning an art program at my kids school. The art program (I use that term very loosely) is terrible!! We all know I don't have an artsy bone in my body. However, I would like my kids to have some quality exposure.

Jami said...

Isn't it crazy to watch our kids grow up. There's nothing quite like the after-school conversation with your oldest child to bring you to a quick reality check that our children are growing up, becoming independent little souls, developing their own talents and interests and going through the stages of life that we too experienced a LONG time ago :) (And that was a serious run-on sentence :))

Laura said...

Bennett (and his mom) are such sweeties! What a good kid. You've gotta be so proud. And.. ART! Yea! That was really my one complaint about Adams, the art program, or lack thereof. How exciting!