Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Owen's 6th Birthday: Snowboarding, Spy Games and Texas Roadhouse!

I can't believe Owen is 6. He is growing out of all his clothes and shoes. He reads like a champ, climbs the rope in gymnastics almost to the top, is linking turns snowboarding, and using all kinds of huge words. Owen is so sweet with his brothers. He would do anything for them. He is thoughtful and kind, and I love this boy. So, so much.

For Owen's birthday, I got to go into his class and read them a book. Of course we read "Owen" by Kevin Henkes. Then he passed out Phinneas and Ferb fruit snacks to his class. He was so excited. I am so proud of my big boy.
Owen's actual birthday fell on a Sunday, so we decided to party all day long on Saturday instead. First we went up to Beaver Mountain for some snowboarding and sunshine. It was nice to leave the inversion behind for a few hours!


BBQ in the parking lot, baby!
After the Beav, we came home for the coolest party since, well, since Owen's Harry Potter party last year. :) The boys came up with the idea for a Spy Party, and came up with most of the ideas. Here is Bennett, wearing what he wore to deliver the invitations to Owen's party.
Here are the invitations. I had so much fun making them. I even got to buy an old-school label maker!
One of the highlights for me was listening to the kids tell Bennett and Owen their secret code names through our old mail slot upon arrival. They were sooooo serious about it and CUTE!
Here's Nikolas getting his secret agent badge.
When the kids came in, they were fingerprinted and had their photos taken.
Bennett was way into it.
Looking good in their undercover spy wear.
Secret Agents!
Laser maze and tunnel crawl!
Target practice!
Agent Carson loads his weapon.
Agent Lambert prepares to lead the kids on a secret mission to discover who stole all Owen's birthday presents!
Looking for clues under the bench at the bus station.
Yahoo! They found all the presents along with cake and ice cream at the church! After opening presents and eating treats, the kids ran wild in the gym for awhile. It was such a fun party. I have heard lots of parents saying what a good time the kids had. That makes me so happy! It is so fun for me to come up with creative ideas along with my kids to create fun memories.
To top off the day, we went to Texas Roadhouse for dinner, where Owen bravely rode in the saddle for a big ol' Texas "YEE-HAW!" He was a good sport. Bennett was mortified, and hid under his coat, under the table.
Happy birthday, Owenator! We love you so much!

9 comments:

Jenni said...

Amazing... as always!

Mrs B said...

Once again you have outdone yourself!! Awesome! Happy birthday, Owenator!!

Audrey Seymour said...

That is super awesome! I want to be 6 again or pretend to be like Catherine Zeta Jones in Entrapment or whatever it was! That is sooo cool we need to do one for the grown ups!

Sarah said...

Okay. Coolest birthday party ever. LOVE the "mail box" entry idea with code names. I'm pretty sure you live in the "cool" house in the neighborhood. I love how it always seems like your house is a gathering place for the neighborhood.

Sandra said...

Wow! Over the top cool and creative. Great perks having the key to the church. :0)

Jenn said...

Your creativity constantly astounds me! That was a "super" cool birthday!

Julie said...

and don't forget to mention how beautiful you looked in black head to toe & high heeled boots with your belly poking out. Evelyn wanted a spy party after she heard about this one so we went the fun park & told her that will have to do. You are the definition of "mom".

mrs.d said...

The definition of mom, indeed--well said, Julie. You are ridiculously amazing, woman! Now I'm feeling a snag of guilt planning mere cupcakes and balloons as the extent of Madelyn's upcoming birthday party. Oh that I were creative!...rats. Anyhoo--another wonderful year of Owen...LOVE that sweet, handsome boy!!

Laura said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again...you are my idol! You are the mom I aspire to be. If I ever turn out to be a fraction of as good a mom as you, I will consider myself to be successful. :)