Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Time flies.

People are always telling me to slow down and enjoy these years because they the best years, and are gone so soon. I know this is true. Sometimes it is hard to believe when I am on my 400th load of laundry and everyone is screaming in my ear, the house is a wreck and somebody stinks. But it's true. There is no denying that it goes too fast, and that we wish it away without really meaning to. Last weekend was one of those times where it hit me full force that my kids are growing up, and if I'm not careful, I will miss out on precious moments happening all around me every day.
I remember having my first baby, sweet little Bennett. What a chubby little cutie! We were proud then, and we are proud now.
Now he is a handsome, smart, strong sensitive young man. He has brought with him the happiest days of our lives.
On his 8th birthday, he was baptized by his Bishop/ Dad into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It was an exciting day for all of us. I loved watching him throughout the day, and tried to savor the experience.
Here is the group that attended Bennett's baptism. I have spent quite a bit of time journaling about this day because it really was so special and perfect. It is one of those events that just isn't very stressful because the people who are coming are the people you love and who love you best, and everything just works out. I love my family so much!

Posted by Picasa
We had a lovely, small gathering at the church after the baptism. Bennett loved playing with his cousins. And getting more gifts. Here are Alexandra and Bennett.
More cousins: Finn, Clara and Nik.
Jacob and Porter. It looks like Jake is a giant next to Porter and that he is squishing him. I promise Porter was happy.
Handsome Uncle Lee surprised us by coming home from his spring break trip to Southern Utah early. Bennett was really happy to see him. I was too; I got all emotional when I saw him in the parking lot at the tabernacle.
Oh, how I love these ladies. I am so thankful for their support in my life, and for the examples they are to me and to my boys.
Bennett was also so happy to have his Gramma Linda fly in from Bellingham for the occasion. We went to Texas Roadhouse Saturday night. Bennett refused to take part in any birthday spotlights or singing by the Texas Roadhouse crew. That's okay. It was a pretty full day.

Happy birthday, Bennett! We love you!

5 comments:

Julie said...

What a great day! I am so glad to have been a part of Bennett's life since the beginning. He is such a good kid & has you to thank for raising him up right. He's good to go now that he is accountable.

Unknown said...

This is a lovely post, Brooke. It is amazing how quickly time flies and to see our babies grow into their own little people. I know Bennett's baptism was such a huge event for your family and it looks meaningful and touching. I'm so glad to know you, friend!

Becca Hatch said...

Congratulations!

I remember when Bennett was born, I came to see you, and we sat in his room and you rocked him and we talked and talked. I remember thinking how quiet and peaceful your home seemed.

Yeah, that was fun while it lasted.xoxo

Jami said...

Oh my. The Logan tabernacle. That is where I was baptized and I have such great memories of it. Going to a stake center just doesn't seem quite the same.

It truly is an amazing experience to watch your firstborn take this giant step forward in their life. I'm sure the rest of them will be just as significant but that first one is pretty surreal. Hard to imagine that our babies are 8!!!!

Megan said...

What a sweet post! I try to make each day count, too so thanks for the reminder! Do you really have like 2 weeks until your baby comes?????!!!! Squeal!!!!!! So excited for you!!!!