Monday, May 10, 2010

Harper Katherine

I was reminded by my dear friend, Suzette, yesterday that not everyone in the world is on facebook, and some folks are still waiting patiently for pictures of this little miss. Here is the abbreviated version:

Harper Katherine Lambert was born April 29, 2010 (yes, almost a week past her due date... she took her sweet time!) at 2:58 a.m. (because apparently all our kids have to come in the middle of the night!) weighing 8 lbs. 4 ozs. (just like Finn, who was also born au natural) and about 20 " long. She has dark brown hair, mostly in the back (mullet baby), and is perfect in every way.

If you want more details, scroll to the bottom of this post and I will divulge more. But nothing too personal, for those of you who are squeamish. ;)




I can't believe how much she has changed in just over a week. She still looks kind of mad all the time, like she does in the above picture, but a little less so. I'd be mad too if I had 4 brothers constantly running around me shouting and being wild all the live-long day.

As you may or may not know, I felt great at the end of this pregnancy. The fun started wearing off, though, more and more every day that she was late. Finally, we got a good freak spring storm which I really think put me into labor. I started having some contractions after back to back soccer games for the boys, and started making preparations to head to the hospital that night. But, the contractions never got very strong, and I eventually fell asleep. The next morning they started back up again, but nothing got very serious until late that night. By 11:00 I knew it was the real deal. I called my little brother, Lee, to come stay with the kids, and woke Jason up.

We got to the hospital around midnight (I have to add in here that I was dilated to a 6 when we arrived, which was awesome. If I had only been at a 2 or something pathetic, it just would have been so depressing.), had my water broken around 2, and she was born 58 minutes and just a few (very painful) contractions later! Holy cow! It was so fast. It surprised everyone! I told Jason to call the nurse, and when she walked in I asked in a loud voice, "IS THAT A HEAD DOWN THERE OR WHAT IS HAPPENING?!?!" The nurse walked in to check me and was suddenly flailing around, calling for the doctor, breaking the bed down, coaching me not to push, etc. The doctor walked in, and I pushed her out. It was crazy.

It was harder to get her out than it was with Finn, and I have some broken blood vessels in my face to prove it. But the recovery was seriously the best. By the time I left the hospital the next day, I didn't really even feel like I had had a baby. Well, not completely. You know. But really, it was great. I know I'm lucky, and you can all curse me now. But I always knew these wide hips were good for something.

We have loved having a baby girl around the house. Finn is so fascinated by her. And the rest of the boys took longer to warm up, but now they are loving her. They gather around her on my bed and talk to her, stroke her cheek or hair, laugh at her funny faces, and just basically think she's pretty cool.

I'm still in that phase where I don't even mind getting up in the night, because I look forward to seeing her and holding her every chance I can. I know those days are numbered because soon I will be a sleep-deprived zombie, but really. What in this world is better than the smell of a newborn baby or the softness of their little cheeks? Nothing.

11 comments:

Michelle said...

Beautiful girl! Harper Katherine is very blessed to have been born into such a wonderful family. You are awesome, Brooke!

ShazBraz said...

Congrats again, Brooke. She is beautiful! I'm glad it went well for you!

ShazBraz said...

Aaaargh!! Michelle...now the mystery of how we know each other intensifies!!

Unknown said...

Beautiful baby and oh, I am so jealous of your speedy labor! You look fabulous every time I see you...glowing and proud!

Jenn said...

Yeah! I am so glad that Suzette gently reminded you about us NON facebookers. I was getting ready to email you and say, "what's up chica? Where's that baby girl?" But I was also beginning to wonder if something bad had happened...oh, I am so glad that nothing bad happened.

She is so beautiful, even with her little scowl! I can not wait to see her grow!

I was actually really anxious to hear what you named her (you use such great names!)
Harper is Fabulous!

I love you!

Megan said...

You ARE a super hero! Congrats, congrats, congrats!! I love how you said she must be kinda mad because she is surrounded by noisy boys! So funny! I hear ya on the zombie thing, but it is so sweet to have your baby all to yourself and nobody needing anything from you......even if it is 2am.....and 4am....and 6am.....! Love you to pieces!

Jami said...

Finally!! I have been waiting for this post! She is beautiful and I am so glad the delivery went well.

Harper??? Love it! What happened to Estelle?

Sandra said...

Yes, I saw the announcement on Facebook, but you have so stinkin' many friends that by the time I got around to saying it, everyone else already had and it just seemed. . . umm. . .redundant. So, obviously, SUPER CONGRATULATIONS! I am so happy for you and all the new pink in your life. You're going to have to sort laundry more carefully now so as not to get any navy blue on all the pink. Yay for you! and love the name. What fun.

Julie Church said...

I am so pleased for your family. A little pink in a sea of blue. Enjoy the little moments...I am sure you know how quickly they go by and you may never pass this way again. (let me know if you need any giant bows) Congratulations!

val said...

So happy Harper is here! Like everyone else I had been waiting for a post-I do NOT like facebook much lame I know. Anyways LOVE her name, LOVE that it was such an amazing labor for you, LOVE that Finn thinks she's super cool. I REALLY don't know how you do it all. But so glad you can enjoy the middle of the night feedings. They are the most amazing time in life-really.

Tracy Helgeson said...

Super happy that Harper arrived safely, super duper happy to hear the au natural birth story. I always knew you could do it! Love from all of us here!