Friday, June 3, 2011

Finnegans

Finn turned 3 on May 13th!  Three was a big deal for him, because it meant he graduated from the Up-to-3 program at USU where he has been attending Little Aggies preschool and getting lots of good help with his speech.  It is so amazing to see how far he has come.  I love listening to him talk.

When he started the program in January, noone could understand what he was trying to say beyond a very few basics like no, mom, dad, etc.  Seriously, not even I could understand what he was saying.  He often communicated with us by playing charades.  We really had to guess what he was telling us as he acted it out.

It did wonders for him to meet with people who are experts in articulation,  who understood his special challenges with forming words.  We as his family became so much more educated on how to help him as he progresses in his language skills.  This experience was so good for me personally as well.  I feel like a grew closer to Finn and felt a deeper compassion for what he feels when it is so hard for him to express himself!  I have been more patient, and I have been so proud watching him try again and again to say certain words or sounds.

I wish I had recorded the first time he said his name right.  He had always said his name was "Pinn" since he struggles with the letter F.  In his articulation class, where moms and kids  practice sounds together, all the kids say their name as part of a song that goes "Pickety, pickety bumblebee!  Will you say your name for me?"  Finn said, "Ffffinn!" and everybody cheered! And of course I shed a wee tear, because that's what I do.

After spending time watching Finn in his little preschool class, and being able to attend his articulation class with him, I have really begun to understand what a special little boy he is.  He is different.  He is beautiful and sweet and good, good, good.  That's not to say he doesn't have mischief in his eyes, but he is so smart and so observant.  He is so eager to please.  So quick to say sorry, so quick to thank me for the littlest things.  How I love you, Finn.
Finn with Teacher Megan, who he always tells me is his friend.  "My fend, teeta Megan?  She nice."

Here is Finn opening birthday presents with Bennett.  Three year olds are so cool- every gift, no matter how big or small, is totally the most amazing thing they have ever seen.

On Finn's birthday, we got to go to the American West Heritage Center with Bennett's class for a field trip!  Here are Finn and Jake helping to tell a story.

Finn and recently returned missionary, Bo Reier.

What could be cooler than throwing a tomahawk for your third birthday?

Bennett, Finn, and Jake.

We had a mini impromptu neighborhood birthday party that afternoon.  Thank goodness it was sunny for once this spring.

Finn and our CUTE neighbor boys, Darius and Cruz.

Cute line-up for the slip-n-slide.

Owen bouncing the little kids.  (Right before we decided that was a really bad idea.)

Hot dogs.

Finn really wanted an "efanent" for his birthday, and Jade gave him one.  Yay!

Singing happy birthday to himself.

Celebrating at Grandma's with Clara.  This was before Grandma realized she didn't have enough candles on the cake for our big 3-year-old.

Happy birthday, big boy!  I don't know what you wished for, but I have lots and lots of wishes for you.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I cannot believe how grown-up Finn looks, Brooke! Such beautiful children and such a moving post about your sweet boy and how he's met great challenges. Love it.

Julie said...

Oh how I love that little boy! He is such a sweetheart. it must be the mold Brooke, because he reminds me so much of Owen.