Friday, June 3, 2011

Recital.

We had a special night with Bennett and Owen last week.  It was Bennett's spring piano recital, so Jason and I decided to take just the two oldest out on the town.  We really did it up by going to Chuck-O-Rama (or Chuck-a-Grandma as Ingrid calls it).  Seriously, we knew the boys would love it, and they did.  The only problem was that between endless wings and slushees and rolls and more wings and the recital butterflies, Bennett had a big old tummy ache!  And we showed up to discover that he was first thing on the program, and he got even more nervous still!  But I do think it was for the best.  Getting your piece over with allows you to enjoy the rest of the program a lot more.





 Bennett played two pieces this year:  Minuet and Trio and Largo.  He was so nervous at the beginning, but once he got rolling, he did awesome.  I am proud of him, remembering how scared I used to get before a recital.  Bennett is very gifted musically.  I wish I were better about encouraging (forcing) him to practice more.  I feel like I walk a fine line, wanting to encourage his musical talent, but not wanting to make him hate it in the process.  I really love his teacher, Launa, and know she is amazing because every time he walks out of her house after a lesson, he is bright and smiley, confident and ready to try harder.
What a super fun night out with these awesome young men.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Way to go Bennett! You should be so proud - it is HARD to play an instrument in front of people! We love Launa, too, she is so good with children - so patient, kind and Sophie always loved going to her house because "it's so clean and smells good!" :)

Pete Pithai Smithsuth said...

This is awesome! Congrats Bennet!

Megan said...

Buffets are always good for a laugh as you watch your kids pile their plates with chicken wings, and hard boiled eggs, which is what my kids love. Oh, and little piles of diced ham from the salad bar. So dang funny! I hear ya on finding the balance with practicing the piano. I haven't figured that one out, but I would say I am probably too lenient on Sasha.....

Jeff and Rose said...

Yay for Bennett, glad that he didn't have an "unfortunate incident" due to the pre-concert buffet.

I played Minuet and Largo...he already plays as well as I ever will. ha.ha.

AND, Bo, home from a mission. OMH, how old am I now anyway??!

Julie said...

Piano recitals are the worst! We used to have ours at this local college in a HUGE classroom on an even huger stage. You'd have to walk all jittery down 1000 stairs & up more stairs to the stage on tile floors in a silent crowded room. Year after year....I'm getting sick thinking about it. One year my mom took piano, played her piece, then went to the hospital & gave birth to my bro Dave. The experience totally put her into labor. So Bennett can be proud! This could have put him into labor! A stomach ache is normal.