Sunday, October 16, 2011

Visiting Artist/ Wonderful Man

What an awesome experience we had last week!  Craig Law, internationally known photographer of rock art in Utah and surrounding areas, came to speak in Bennett's class!  Craig was the head of the Art Dept while I was at USU.  He also taught photography, but I never had him, sadly.  But Jason did!  And they became friends of sorts.  Now we live in the same stake as Craig, and his wife and I became friends while we were both working in stake callings.  She passed away last spring.  You may remember my tribute to her...  What a special lady, and Craig is just an incredible person.  So when I heard that the 4th graders were learning about Fremont and Anasazi Indians, I though of Craig!  He was more than willing to come help, even though he is very busy. He did such a great job on his presentation to the kids!
He even brought a copy of the book he did photography for called "Sacred Images" and signed it, leaving it as a classroom copy!  The kids were so excited!  Craig let them all try out his camera, a cool, old-timey film camera with a dark cloth and everything!  It was beautiful, and takes stunning photos!
He did a slide presentation, and then showed the class this ginormous photograph he had done.  He is so amazing.  We were all inspired!  He talked to the kids about how important he feels it is to preserve this beautiful artwork, and showed them examples of graffiti and damage from bullets (IDIOTS!) The kids were all horrified.  Craig explained how he wants to protect these images because it is the genealogy of the Native American people, and he wants them to know that we value it.  How awesome.

Craig and Mrs. Casperson, looking at the book he presented to the class.
After his presentation, I helped Craig carry things to his car.  We had a very nice discussion, and I asked how he was doing without Nancy.  He told me it was her birthday that day.  We both cried together, and shared such a spiritual experience.  I am so grateful I asked him to come speak-  It felt like a personal blessing to me in addition to all that the kids gained.

Later that day I was able to help in Jake's classroom as well.  Here is a tower he built.  What an awesome kid.  There is something so special about each of my kids, and I love watching them learn and grow when they go to kindergarten.  Jake is doing so great, making lots of friends and learning so much.  I can tell he is really proud of all the things he is learning to do.  Way to go, Jacob Mark!  You are a superstar!

No comments: