Thursday, October 4, 2007

My first pie...


I baked my first pie yesterday. Actually, I have baked pies in the past, but never, ever, have I made the crust. The process and the prospect of failing at making pie crust made me really nervous, actually, but it turned out okay. My friend Julie, a.k.a. Betty Crocker told me it looked like something from a magazine. (She is a very good friend, isn't she?) So I thought I'd share a photo of it with you. And Jason, I'm so sorry you were away when I made my first pie attempt.

Really, it was at Bennett's insistence that I made it. We just finished the 5th book in the Boxcar children mystery series, which has a lot to do with pie-making. (Now I know I've piqued your interest... you should check out the book or borrow it from me.) So as we were reading the final chapters of the book the night before last, Bennett started moaning about his need for apple pie. "Ohhhhh... I want some sooooo baaaaaad!!!!!!" So I promised him we would pick some apples from Clair's yard and bake a pie the next day. First thing in the morning, "Is it time to make pie yet?" were the first words he uttered. That continued ALL DAY until the pie was actually baked. After eating about 3 pieces, however, he told me, "I guess what I really wanted was just cooked apples. The crust is not my favorite." Oh well, it was my first attempt after all.

I should also say that I really did learn a good trick from the Boxcar kids. I rolled out the dough between 2 pieces of wax paper. Voila! No mess! And crust thickness perfection!

5 comments:

Jason said...

Man, I missed this momentus pie-making occasion and the leaf raking! Looks tasty... The pie, not the leaves :)

Jami said...

Okay, you have my interest! What are these boxcar books?

Brooke said...

Do you remember reading "The Boxcar Children" when you were a kid? About the 4 children whose parents have died, so they are on their own, and they find an old boxcar to live in?? Seriously, it's one of the best books EVER! And there is a whole series about these kids, always with a mystery of some sort. My kids are totally in love with them, and we have to read them EVERY night. The author is Ruth Chandler Warren. Check them out!

Tracy Helgeson said...

The other handy tip from book #1 is how to use sand to scrub the rust off from a spoon. I have never had to actually use this knowledge, but I am sure it will come in handy someday:)

I love the Boxcar children. Have you ever read Five Little Peppers? They were my other faves. Oh and Trixie Beldon always had a good mystery to solve.

Beautiful pie, by the way, almost forgot the point here:)

Brooke said...

Oops, everyone, Boxcar Children books were written by GERTRUDE CHANDLER WARNER!!!! That's what I get for trying to go by memory.

And, Tracy, I am excited to check out Five Little Peppers! Oh, and I loved Trixie Belden, and Jason read the Hardy Boys.