Monday, September 8, 2008

Odds and Ends

TA-DA! Summer is over!
This was taken after an excellent day of playing in the water (and mud) at Merlin Olsen Park with a bunch of friends. Much fun was had and many a mudpie made that day. And then, just days later...
Rain, rain, rain!
It was beautiful, and I was finally able to bake again. My kids had been asking me, "Mom, when are you going to make cookies again? And rolls? And bread? And cake?" Basically, everything that requires being cooked in the oven. Or stovetop, really. Our kitchen pretty much shuts down all summer due to extreme temperatures in our red brick oven.


Here was a last-chance camping getaway up the canyon the weekend before school started:
What a cutie. Finn loved camping! He slept like a champ.

Owen Lee, peeking out of "the big boy tent." That's right, we have to split up at night when we camp, into two little dome tents. Someday we will actually have to get a tent we can all fit in together! For this camping trip Jason slept with Bennett and Owen in one tent, and I slept with Finn, Jake and Lucy (yep) in the other!

It took some MacGyver skills to get this stove to work, but it was well worth the trouble for these fine pancackes. Good work, Jason and Bennett!

This picture almost makes me want to keep Lucy! :)

6 comments:

Andrea said...

Love the picture of Finn camping contentedly in his car seat. and i understand the no-baking-thing -- ryan forbids any type of cooking on the hot days unless it's on the grill. which is fine by me :)

Mrs B said...

I can't believe summer camping days are over. & just so you know, you can borrow our big tent- I'm pretty sure you'd all fit- anytime. I know your feelings on keeping the dog. I go through cute moments like that nearly daily, & then they wake me up barking or I look into the wrecked yard & all sentimentalism is lost!

Sarah O. said...

brooke...I really only like our dog in pictures, believe me I really try to like him. I think we mutually just steer clear of each other to make things work. I tell Pete "dogs were made to live outside sweetie, not curled up on the living room chair or next our bed." Apparently I'm the only person on the earth who doesn't like dogs, except Annie whosaid the other day, "Mom, we never should have got a dog, huh?" I screamed "yes!" in my mind, while I shrugged my shoulders. Your kids are adorable...does Owen go in the Afternoon? Annie is in the Morning.

Laura said...

I cannot believe that you took your dog camping! We took our stupid lab in the car to Memphis with us a few weeks ago. When we got there, there wasn't a shred of anything in that car that didn't have dog hair on it. She slept in the tent with you! Really?

Brooke said...

Ohhhhhhh. Let me clarify, Laura. She slept in her KENNEL in our tent. Otherwise, yeah. SICK!

Jenni said...

Looks like a lot of fun! I keep seeing rain up North but we have not had any. Thank you for reminding me that I should not get a dog. Everyone wants one but me. In fact, that is what Addie wants for her upcoming birthday. I guess she will be disappointed.