Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Soccer Star


Owen has a new friend named Cole. Cole's family moved in down the street a few weeks ago, and it has been fun to have little guy Owen's age over to play! Cole's dad is coaching soccer at the rec center and invited Owen to join the team at the last minute. I was hesitant, given the outcome of Bennett's 4-year-old soccer experiences. But Owen was so excited, we decided to give it a try.

I am happy to report that he loved it. LOVED it. He was (of course) the cutest kid out there. Every time he passed by he smiled and did this little wave to me or gave me a thumbs up! He was pretty tentative, but he ran after that ball the entire hour, and kicked it many times! He had a couple of almost-goals, and was just a happy sweaty kid afterwards. If you have never seen a 4-year-old soccer game, I highly recommend it. It is hilarious! The dad next to me was really getting after his daughter for not being aggressive enough, but his wife and I just laughed and laughed. Every time the pack of kids ran past the drinking fountain while chasing the ball, they would all stop and line up for a drink until the coaches could convince them to come back out and play!

Also heartwarming was hearing Bennett tell Owen, "Whoa, Owen. You did an awesome job playing soccer! I'm serious! All I did when I played soccer when I was your age was cry and cry." Owen was all aglow.

5 comments:

Mrs B said...

Yeah, Owen!! I'm so proud! We should come up & watch a game sometime.

Becca Hatch said...

I'm glad to hear soccer worked out! I'm sure he is the next David Beckham- in looks AND skills.

Here is the recipe I told you about to use your cabbage: Brown 1 lb. hamburger with 1 bunch green onions. Add shredded cabbage (I'd say a half head) and cook it down. Stir in hoisin sauce, enough to make it moist, add 1 tsp sesame oil. Serve in tortillas. So easy. xoxox

Jenn said...

Isn't it amazing how we think each child will react the same in all situations. But they are so different. It is obvious, from Bennet's props, that he has raised Owen's confidence over the years. Running for an hour after a ball...I could never...way to go Owen!

Jami said...

Was that four year old soccer experience the same one that Hallee skipped all over the court never once noticing the BALL??? Now THOSE were good times.

Way to go Owen!!!

Unknown said...

Yea for Owen! How nice of Bennett to be so kind to his little brother. We did indoor soccer too and oh, it was so hilarious! You're right, watching young children play soccer is definitely entertaining.