Sunday, October 5, 2008

Happiness, Your Heritage

I am thinking of adding a sidebar with quotes from this weekend's General Conference.  I loved the talks so much, and some of them were seriously meant just for me.  :)  But until the transcripts of the Conference are put online  (on Thursday, if you were wondering...), I wanted to share this link with you.  Did you get to attend Women's Conference?  I know I have already spoken to some of my friends about the talk by President Uchtdorf given there, and wanted to share it with one and all.  I absolutely loved it. He explained how creating and being compassionate are our gifts as women. It was such a unique topic, and presented so passionately... I think about it all the time; it really has made a difference in my day to day thinking.  So read it!  Or better yet... watch it! I love to read talks, but I really felt that the delivery of this one was outstanding.  It was so moving.  I would love to hear what you thought of this talk too.

On the topic of Women's Conference:  My sisters Cami and Jaime, my Mom and I all went to the broadcast together, and then out to dinner afterwards.  It was SO much fun.  I don't know if we have ever done anything like that, sadly, but it has to be a new tradition from now on!  I haven't had such a great time in ages.  We were alternating between hysterical laughter, and teary-eyed emotionalism at Chili's as we caught up on each other's lives, reminisced, etc.  We had to get ourselves under control when our waiter would come by so he wouldn't be too concerned.  But really, it was the best time.  I love you, girls.  Love, love, love you!  Kate, you need to be there next time!

8 comments:

Jenn said...

Thank you Brooke, I did not attend Women's Conference, so thank you for providing a little nudge and motivation to read his wonderful talk. It was inspired, and I too feel it was meant just for me. What's great is that is WAS meant just for me, and every women in the world just the same. I was feeling a little put upon last week and his talk reminded me of my purpose and how easy it can be to pull myself out of my self pitty if I just try. I let a lot of confrenece go in one ear and out the other due to a distracted Sammy or a crying Lyla or a hungry tummy (my own and my husbands). But the quote that stuck with me the most was one from President Monson. His encouragement to not wait until we think we will have the time, but enjoy the journey. I said to Jeff, "Does that mean I get to quite work, because I would enjoy my journey more if I weren't working", and then I realized I needed to change my attitude and find a way to enjoy the journey of my life unchanged, as it is, and as it has to be. I have made it a goal to evaluate what it is I have to do and then find a way to enjoy it whether it is something I like or not. Loafty Goal I think!

Jenni said...

Women's Conference was great. It is nice to know you don't have to feel guilty about spending time "creating".

Unknown said...

Hi Brooke! You may be surprised at this, but I checked out the link. I really am trying to learn more about ALL religions! I had to laugh though, because the story of the cooking is true in my family, but the opposite...Steve is the masterpiece chef, I'm the fried egg person (not sure I can even pull off fried eggs!). One important thing I learned about compassion is, when we are feeling low, if we help someone else, it takes the focus off us and puts it where it should be. It's not always easy to do, but it works and I am so thankful my parents taught me that. Thank you for sharing what is important to you and what guides you in this life.

Sarah said...

I missed out on Women's Conference and I really need to go back and watch it when I get a moment of peace. How fun that you were able to go with your mom and sisters. We were in Utah last week and it would have been so fun to see you, but our schedule was tight as usual. We really need to plan longer trips there. We'll have to make it happen next time.

Jami said...

Seriously I hear you. I am SO grateful for General Conference and the ability it has to rejuvinate me! Every time it seems like there is at least one talk that is just for me. I loved Elder Holland's this year.

Mrs B said...

Great talk. Great times. Great sisters. Great life. Love you!!

Mrs B said...

Oh-- & great tradition. Why don't we all hang out more often?

Murray Ohana said...

Aloha Brooke, I loved Pres. Uchtdorf's talk too. He has come to our ward on Kauai a couple of times. I have been so impressed with him since he came the first time while he was a still a member of the twelve. He gave an incredible and powerful talk that I will never forget.
I LOVED, LOVED conference, as usual. I REALLY needed it and I felt there were so many comforting words at this time when we are mourning the loss of my nephew. I have listened to most of the talks twice now...I can't get enough.

I have had so much fun catching up with you on your blog. Especially after a blogging break. Cole and Aidan loved Owen and Bennett's blogs and now want to have their own.. Anyway they left a comment.

You are always doing such fun things with your boys...you are such an amazing mom. I miss you.