Friday, October 17, 2008

Shout out from Boston!

Hello, friends!  We're here in a super-cool little condo in a brownstone area here in the heart of the city of Celtics and Red Sox.  I LOVE this town, or the tiny part of it that I have seen since we arrived.  Heather, and all others who told me how cool this town is are right!  It is.  Jason, Finn, and I walked around for a couple of hours tonight, checking out the Friday night scene, looking into fancy restaurant windows, funky shops, and enjoying the gorgeous neighborhoods with tree-lined streets.  Some of these neighborhoods are so Sesame Street.  (I mean that in a very good way.)  It is so strikingly beautiful, and so different than what I am used to, it's practically a foreign country!  I like it.

Anyhow.  I wanted to check in on my blog to see if I had offended any of my friends with my last post.  My friends (as John MCain would say), I want you to know that I appreciate all your participation in my virtual roundtable discussion.  Thank you.  

While driving me to the airport in the wee hours of the morning, my mom offered me some insight into her feelings on the discussion of politics.  She was telling me about some women at work who are extremely passionate about their political convictions, and explained that she avoids talking about the topic at all costs.  She reminded me that religion and politics are topics best left alone in many cases because of their highly personal nature.  I agree with her.  But I also think it's okay to have conversations, and share where we are all coming from.  Like Leslie, and all of us, I am sure, I try to be open-minded and listen to the thoughts of all.  There is always something to learn.

Honestly, I thought about things in a new light after reading your comments, Andrea.  In fact, before I even opened Pandora's box about the campaign in my last blog, I was reflecting on our conversation about George W.  all those years ago.  We were able to agree to disagree and still go on to be seriously good pals.  Imagine!  And really, I am feeling a softening in my heart for John McCain's on-air grimacing.  I think you are onto something when you say that it just may be his unease in the spotlight, and not necessarily his disrespect for Senator Obama.  I hope so. I could give him the benefit of the doubt, eh? 

So thank you for your thoughts.  I am just happy to see everyone feeling a little passionate about something.  That means you care about the issues facing our great nation, right?  And let me ask you this:  Did you watch the SNL clip after you posted your comments?   Because it makes everything better.

For now I think I am retiring from political commentary, even though I thought I wanted to say more. That doesn't mean that I won't feature the writings of others on this blog; in fact, I am really looking forward to having my own Dad as a guest feature writer one of these days. But I wasn't cut out for the stirring of the pot role in life.  I am more of a "can't we all just get along?" kinda gal. 
 I do still say, though....  Go, Obama.  Let's see what happens.

4 comments:

Mrs B said...

Woo woo!! to you being in Boston. I'm jealous. I also just wanted to say that your friends had some good points on your last post. I, too, am weary of stirring the pot & would love to have dad write a post or 2. I bet it would be informative & entertaining, eh?

Jenni said...

So envious of your trip!

Murray Ohana said...

Brooke, I have heard from my bro that Boston is definately one city to see...and I haven't. So I am glad that you are seeing it and also getting a vacay with your hubby and baby. I loved and agreed with your post on the debate. I have been an Obama supporter since the primary debates and felt very comfortable talking about him with my mom and dad and sisters since they all like him too, but surprisingly, since moving to Kauai (since Hawaii is a Dem state) I have found that few of my closer friends share my views. I have enjoyed talking politics with McCain supporters and trying to find out what it is they like about him. Everyday when I go to pick my kids up from school I get to talk to my friend Shannon, a McCain supporter. We love to talk politics!... I love that our discussions never get heated.
My very good friend, Julie, on the other hand, has seemed angered when I discuss politics with her and I have even avoided walking with her in the mornings. I used to walk with her a few mornings a week. I have learned that there are some people who it's best to avoid certain subjects with. The other night Jason and I went on a group date with about 5 other couples. One of the husbands wanted to discuss why I had an Obama bumper sticker on my van. We ended up talking about it the rest of the night. Let's just say it wasn't one of our best dates. And although I have enjoyed learning more about this upcoming election, it can be too much at times. Okay, I have written a novel now..not another word! okay, a couple more..Have fun in Boston!

AT said...

What a great post. You are very brave.
When it comes to discussion of polictics and religion it does get pretty heated. It's exciting though to get people to think and to voice their opinions. It keeps us all involved with our own views and hopefully we all have an open mind to others views and opinions. With that said Go Obama! paula