Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The boys had the wonderful opportunity of having our dear neighbor and friend, Rex Thompson, come speak to their school classes.  Rex served as a Marine in WWII in the battle of Iwo Jima.  When he left for the war, he left his new wife behind expecting their first baby (who he didn't meet until she was almost 2!)  Rex did a phenomenal job of talking to the kids about what it was like for a boy fresh off a church mission to become a soldier, and why war is sometimes necessary.  The way he described his experiences in battle, and then the Japanese people during US occupation made me cry.  The kids were riveted the entire time, and Bennett's class wrote him the sweetest letters.  One girl's said, "I am so glad I got to meet you.  This has been the most special day! I can't wait to go home and write about it in my diary."  He received many thanks from those 3rd graders for defending our country, which I know warmed his heart.  We were all uplifted that day.  I am so grateful for heroes like Rex Thompson and my brother Andy, who have or will serve in the armed forces.  It is no small sacrifice for them and their families.
Speaking of things I am grateful for:
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Julie said...

I miss the Thompson's so much already. I keep looking around my ward & trying to find someone who can replace them. No one can.