Sunday, December 19, 2010

Bringing the Sunshine

Owen's class had a chance to sing Christmas carols at Sunshine Terrace, a local nursing home. It was very sweet to watch. I was instantly transported back to the days of visiting nursing homes growing up, with my family, or with the young women in my ward. I wish I could report to you that I loved performing this service. Sadly, sadly, and to be honest with you, dear reader, I didn't like it then, and I still don't. I know it is important, and I feel grateful for the chance to provide service to the sweet people stuck in these places, but I always find it so very sad and even scary. I especially felt so as a child. I have huge, enormous respect for people who work with and serve these people in the last and probably least pleasant days of their lives.

These kindergarten and 1st graders were first taken to the Alzheimer's unit to sing. It was a little frightening for them, as some of the residents are very, very, debilitated. I was worried, and really tried to comfort my Owen, but he seemed surprisingly okay with it all, so maybe it's just me who is scared of old people. Not sure.

I wish I could include more pictures, but I don't know most of the kids' parents yet, so I don't think it's a great idea. But I have to show you that Owen is a full head taller than all the kids in his grade. It was pretty funny to see them all lined up singing... a flat skyline of heads and then >POP< there's Owen's head. Here is is feeling really inspired and focused on the music:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE the photo of Owen standing so tall amongst his classmates - he is a giant among men!

AT said...

Nursing homes can be a little scary, especially for little people. I loved working at the nursing home so don't you worry my dear i have us both covered.