Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Thank you, Jordan Ferney.

Thank you, Jordan Ferney, professional blogger and seemingly very cool girl, for your great idea about advent calendars.

I have to say that even though professional bloggers' lives seem so disconnected with the life I find myself in, I am often inspired and think to myself,  "Hm. I could try that." And that is exactly what this post made me do.  So thank you, Oh Happy Day, for providing my family with a new holiday tradition!  Yay!

As Ms. Ferney's blog points out, this is a great way to help us actually do all the things we always want to do, but often don't leading up to Christmas.  This year I actually planned it out, looking at my calendar, and then wrote everything down, so I could be prepared.  For example, I want to have all ingredients on hand if we are supposed to make sugar cookies or orange pomanders one day.  (Yes, we are doing those.)  It has helped to set aside a time to go for a "Winter Wonderland Walk," go caroling to a neighbor's house, read about Samuel the Lamanite's prophecy in the Book of Mormon, or deliver a secret gift. Not that we won't also be spontaneous, but that we are guaranteed to spend some time on each of these.

I got this muffin tin advent calendar from my friend, Christy, last year.  It is a mini-muffin pan, so it is perfect for putting slips of paper inside telling which holiday activity we will do that day.  I started making one like the Pottery Barn one, but it will have to wait until next year.  Stay tuned.

Day one:  Make a paper chain to count down the days.
An unofficial activity not found in the advent calendar:  Make pet beds.
THIS activity was also not on the calendar.  But it was fun too:
By the way, all these activities are coinciding perfectly with our new "no screens" rule. I will dedicate an entire post to this topic soon. But we have found that tv, computer, iPhone, etc. were making our kids mean. MEAN! So all these creative outlets have been a huge help.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

I found a favorite advent calendar that I wish to make someday, but don't see it happening any time soon. I would love a description of how your mini muffin advent calendar works. It is so cute! Are those paper numbers or magnets? How do you get into the muffin holes?

Just this morning at a play group we were talking about family Christmas traditions. And this concept came up. It is so great and I too hope I can start!

P.S. I totally agree...how do those blog ladies make everything look so simple yet gorgeous and clean and easy, and still have time to actually blog about it? I think we are missing some major flaw that they cover up, Brooke. Don't get discouraged, no one can be that perfect!!!!

ShazBraz said...

very cute and fun. Do you know Ms. Bloglady's hubby from the USU art dept.?

Julie said...

22220.1020003
30+6212+6195+5555555
Those #'s are from Lilly.
I am determined to catch up on your blog while I have internet here at my parents. Post #1 down. I think a lot of those blog people are hiding something like maybe the fact that they have a maid & a day care taking care of everything. I don't see how it is possible. On the other side I don't see how half the stuff you do is possible either so maybe they really ARE that good... & I am just in denial about how much time I really do waste.