Sunday, January 9, 2011

Book Night 2010

Book Night.  It just might be the coolest tradition on earth.  I can remember doing this back in high school at the Deseret Book in the Ogden Mall, in fact.  I'll have to figure out when the tradition started.  But it involves Mom and Dad taking all us kids out to eat and then to a bookstore to choose a book for Christmas.  Now it involves us kids and our kids.  It is a little rowdier and a LOT more expensive, but the tradition endures.
Clara, Cami, Jaime, Tyler, Nikki & Alli  (and some hooligans in the way back).
Porter and Finn.  Cousin buddies.
My kids get the blessing of coming from a book-loving family from all sides.  Jason studied English, his Mom is a librarian, I started a collection of kids' books when I was in high school, and have always loved to read.   My parents have always encouraged reading and studying, first with us, and now with the grandkids.  This year my mom made blankets for ALL the grandkids.  She wrapped them up with a flashlight which they opened with their book on Christmas day.  She instructed them all that they were to go to bed early, climb in bed and read, read, read.  They LOVED this idea.  Here is some proof that my kids like to read:

It makes me so happy.  
Thanks, Mom and Dad.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

What a great tradition! It bothers me that I have not known about it until now.