Sunday, February 6, 2011

Owen's Science Birthday!

My big boy turned 7 on January 31.  He has always been the sweetest kid around, and I love him so much.  Happy birthday, Owen!  Here he is with his new birthday kicks!
Okay.  If you didn't know, I really like to throw fun birthday parties for my kids.  I don't mean expensive ones.  I mean fun ones.  And this one was definitely one of the best.  Since Owen is waaaaayyyyy into science, we decided to invite friends over to do a bunch of experiments. It was so cheap to do, and the kids absolutely LOVED it.  Here are the invitations:

As the kids arrived, they built geodesic shapes out of gumdrops and toothpicks.  They loved this.  Jake built these things all day long.
Then we went outside and watched a mentos-Diet Coke geyser shoot up into the sky.  Look at their faces... they LOVED it!
Then we divided into groups.  Dr. Lee was conducting experiments in the kitchen.  The kids inflated balloons using gases formed by combining baking soda and vinegar!  The kids were astounded and amazed!

Safey first, Bennett!
Then they made "Elephant Toothpaste" using hydrogen peroxide, dish soap, food coloring and yeast.  Awesome, awesome project.

We also made alka-seltzer rockets out of film canisters (free at photo labs), made gak using glue and borax, did color mixing and separating experiments, and looked prepared slides using Owen's microscope.  I'd be happy to share more details with you if you are interested.

And last...  the exploding volcano cake!!!  It was sure ugly, but noone seemed to care.  I stacked 2 bundt cakes on top of each other and stuck a long skinny bud vase down inside.  Then I frosted all around, attempting to disguise the bud vase.  It was too tall, but oh well.  Then I put chunks of dry ice down in the bottom of the vase.  I mixed some marshmallow creme with red and yellow food coloring and thinned it down with water.  (You are supposed to use corn syrup, but I didn't have any, so whatever.) I put the marshmallowy stuff down inside and then lit the sparkler candles.  After the kids sang to Owen, we dumped a little hot water down in the vase.  The "volcano" started to smoke, and then lava burst forth out of it!  Ooooohhhhh, it was so cool.  I highly recommend this idea- what a hit!



Here is Miss Harper playing in the after-party mess.
Gumdrop structures!
I am lucky to have a Mom who works in a doctor's office.  She supplied us with awesome medical supplies to use at the party, and also in the kids' take home science goody bags.  Their parents probably thought some of the stuff was kind of weird.  (Like vials for blood!)  But the kids were SO excited.  Beyond.
Stay tuned Jacob's birthday party report next week...  Jake vs. Wild!  I'm so excited!  I love celebrating with my kids on their birthdays.  I had always thought we would only have parties every other year until I had a friend with older kids change my mind.  She reminded me that there are only a few years where they really want a party with games and their little friends.  Then they get too old and cool for such things.  That made me so sad!

We have such a great time putting these parties together.  The kids help me search the internet for ideas, help me make and deliver the invites, and of course love the party itself.  This one was extra cool because the kids learned some awesome science facts too!  Yay, science!  Yay, Owen!  Love you, buddy!

5 comments:

Jenni said...

Another awesome party by Brooke! Coolest Mom on the block!!

Sarah said...

This party is AMAZING!!! I love the look on the kids faces watching that coke explosion...priceless! I'm with you on the awesomeness of planning and throwing fun parties for kids. I'm definitely going to use some of those science experiments.

Julie said...

I can just hear the squeals of delight. I'll bet this was the coolest party of all time. I didn't think you could out do the Harry Potter party or the FBI one either, but yet, here you go again!

Jenn said...

Totally Freak'n awesome.

Unknown said...

Ok woman, you are the coolest mom EVER! Miss you, miss you, miss you!! Hugs to Owen, now 7.