Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A word or two.

Dear soccer dad who yells like you think you are the coach, but really you aren't,

I think you are a really nice guy, and I have enjoyed our conversations.  But what you don't know yet (and I'm surprised you haven't figured this out yet) is that I really don't care if my son isn't a very aggressive soccer player.  It actually really made me happy that he came over and built a little bird's nest out of grass while he was sitting out a quarter.  I'm happy that he has fun at his soccer games and that he has made some cute little friends out on the field.  I don't care if he goes on to play soccer competitively, for scholarships or large amounts of fame and fortune.  I just like that he is getting exercise in the fresh air and that we get to come cheer him on as a family.

No, I don't think I'll put him in football this summer to toughen him up and make him more aggressive.  Nope.  Sure don't.  If he had a burning desire to try football I would probably let him, for the same reason I encourage him to try all sports:  to learn the rules, get exercise, increase coordination and make new friends.  NOT to make him more aggressive.  Yes, he will be doing baseball and Summer Sport's Camp.  But I'm also thinking Cache Children's Choir Music Camp, and AVA Art Camp.

But thanks for your advice and suggestions anyway.

Sincerely,

The lucky Mom of the sweetest boy on earth: Owen Lee Lambert.

8 comments:

ShazBraz said...

Well said, Brooke. My sons were very much of the "Let's lie in the grass and pick dandelions during the game." type. And that was fine with me.

Jeff and Rose said...

Amen, sister.

Unknown said...

Oh Brooke, I LOVE this. Just today I chatted with a mom about how people need to stop worrying about the quiet children who are quiet because that's who they are. Why do others always want to "fix" our kids. Soph was always worried about hurting someone in soccer - and ya know what, that is just fine with me. Owen is a beautiful, kind, lovely little person and that is just who he needs to be.

Megan said...

Seth did cartwheels on the basketball court, and when he was supposed to be sitting on the bench. We thought it was priceless! Nest building and cartwheels are better life skills than being super aggressive. Luv you!!

tawnya said...

Oh, I'm late to this, but LOVE it. That's so very Sammy. And I'm loving that he's doing art camp this summer!

ShazBraz said...

Brooke, make sure you read Sally Wright's column in the paper today; I thought of this post!

Audrey Seymour said...

AMen sister! I totally agree

Julie said...

Never change Owen & next time you see that dude, give him a swift kick in the backside to toughen him up.