Monday, September 17, 2007

Lunchlady Land

I just have to share the adventure I had today with Bennett and Owen.

Ever since Bennett started Kindergarten, he has been a teensy bit obsessed with... the cafeteria. He has been really worried that someday he'll have to go in there, and somehow it had become this very scary place in his mind that he would talk to me about while lying in bed at night, sharing with me the secrets of his soul. I remember feeling the SAME WAY about the cafeteria! It was always rather mysterious to me.

So, last night I asked him if he wanted to go with me to lunch at... the cafeteria after school. He got very giggly and nervous and kept drifting off to sleep, only to say, "I just can't stop thinking about the cafeteria!" or "I just can't stop thinking about the lunch menu!" It was hilarious.

So this morning Owen and I set off to meet him and his friend Coleman, and Coleman's mom, Laura. It was quite the lunch date! We joined about 40 other kindergarteners for a feast of corndogs, broccoli, rolls, fruit cups, and my favorite: criss-cross cut fries. Mmmmmm..... Just to let you know, school lunch is exactly like it was when you were a kid. I'm surprised I ever learned to like veggies at all after sampling that cold, clammy, very un-broccoli tasting broccoli today.

Bennett was pretty quiet during the meal. I think he was a little intimidated by all the lunchladies pacing around the tables telling everyone how fast they needed to hurry. I myself was a little intimidated by them. But in the end he was all smiles, and told me tonight, "This was a great day, Mom."

Sniff! Yes it was!

3 comments:

Sandra said...

That is great:) What a funny story. You are so lucky to have real lunch food at your school though. We have all prepackaged foods (Hmmm. . .how long has that hamburger been stored in that plastic wrapper? Looks umm. . yummy.) I would take cold, cooked-that-day broccoli over prepackaged beef taco any day.

Brooke said...

Good perspective, Sandra. Thanks for making me grateful for the lunches my children will be eating...cooked with love by the lunchladies. And hey, I'm wondering, does anyone in the world BRING their lunch anymore?? I didn't see a single lunchbox or brown bag!

Brittney said...

hah! you're so brave...on many levels...to have volunteered to dine in the cafeteria. cute cute bennett.