Tuesday, April 8, 2008

All in a Day's Work

Today I spent several hours in the yard, trying to get things under control and ready to plant our garden. I was totally amazed at how much I was able to get done. In one day, our Mittleider beds were cleaned out, soil turned and raked. We love the Mittleider method!

Above, you will see last year's garden sitting by the street, ready to be hauled away by the city of Logan. And below, a magnificent sight: the beds, all cleaned out and ready for it to warm up enough to plant. Most of the neighborhood was out today, working in their yards. This meant that all the kids on the street played together, running from yard to yard for hours, but mostly hanging out on the trampoline a few doors up. I think Bennett and Owen played on the trampoline for at least 2 hours straight!

*A special thanks to Julie, who helped me cut down all the twine from last year's trellises, a job that required squatting down low, which can be very painful for a woman of my size.
Here's this year's garden...
Hello, little jalapenos!
These are the beans, Cinderella pumpkins, watermelon, cantaloupe, etc...

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! Your garden area looks fabulous. We started our garden, but we don't have anything as nice as you do outside. You've inspired me!! We did plant 2 apple trees and told Sophie she can take the pears from our pear tree and the apples to the Farmer's Market to sell this fall. There are only so many a family of 3 can eat!

Brittney said...

if disaster strikes, can we please count on you to provide our fresh produce? thanks a mil.

p.s. looks beautiful already!

Becca Hatch said...

I'm so proud of your level of industry! You would have been a great pioneer. Bruce and Kate are busy prepping our first garden. I'm already mentally preparing for all the canning I'll be doing this fall.

Sarah said...

Can you come to my house and teach me how to garden? I really want to get a garden going and I have no idea what I'm doing! Yours looks beautiful.

Mrs B said...

Though I would appreciate some fresh produce if disaster strikes, I would also like a Cinderella pumpkin or 2 just to be cute on my porch this fall, so if ya have an extra...

Brooke said...

Sarah, You have to get the Mittleider book, More Food From Your Garden. Seriously, it is the best, and you don't have to have much space or good soil or anything. It's great! I'd love to tell you more!

Brooke said...

Jaime, last year we had about a gazillion pumpkins. Yes, we can spare some Cinderellas for your porch! They truly are the prettiest pumpkins!

Jami said...

impressive....very impressive.

Sandra said...

When my life settles down a bit this year and the move is done, I am going to have to find out about your mittel. . .what? method. It looks great and easy (after the set-up, right?)

Julie said...

Need I remind everyone that you spent HOURS outside doing that work & you are due in 4 weeks! I'm surprised you are not in labor after all that work. Cutting a few twines was the least I could do. Really I should have done all that work for you while you sipped lemonade.