Wednesday, June 25, 2008

CAMP!






Just before Finn was born, I was released from my calling as Stake YW President, which has to be one of the greatest jobs in the world. I miss it so much, but the timing of my release was right on. It would have been pretty tricky once Finn was born to feel like I could contribute much at all.

Anyway, I was invited to speak at the "Opening Ceremonies" at YW Camp this morning. Finn and I arrived as girls were gathering near the lodge after setting up camp. All the wards chose countries to represent for this Olympic-oriented camp. I was pretty surprised by how emotional I got as I watched the girls working together, setting up chairs, laughing, being silly, so excited to be at camp. YW is such an incredible program. I love it. I was asked to speak to them about how to "Light the Fire Within," which is the Camp theme this year. I was so glad to have the chance to think about my own life, and how lucky I am to be surrounded by people so full of light. Preparing for my talk gave me a chance to evaluate how I am doing in taking care of myself spiritually, and I recognized that I need to make some adjustments. I am now working on ways to make spiritual things a bigger part of my day, and not use the excuse that I am too busy.

After my talk, each ward sang "I am a Child of God" in their chosen country's language. It was so impressive! The familiar song was sung in Japanese, Chinese, Samoan, Spanish, German, Tongan, and even Jamaican. :) Ya, mon. I love those girls, youth and leaders alike. It was a great day for me.

4 comments:

Mrs B said...

I'm kind of a nerd, but I love girls camp, & this one sounds really neat. I would have loved to hear them sing in all the different languages. I bet those girls (& other leaders) miss you.

Becca Hatch said...

Girls camp was always fun, epecially the testimony meeting on the last night. I'm glad you were able to go and share your wisdom with the girls- you are so awesome and I'm sure they loved it.

Jenn said...

That is the first picture I have seen of Suzette and Rayann since we moved away! And seeing those pictures brings back such good memories. Remember Bear Lake and our Hawaiian adventure. What fond images in my head!

Unknown said...

Love you Brooke! So glad you were able to be a part of the camp experience. The girls LOVE you still! Thanks for sharing your testimony. (Hi Jenn).