Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day!

Forgive the crazy lighting in this photo. What were we doing, standing in that dappled sunlight for a photo anyway?? Here are my incredible parents with all their children. (It was hard to get Mom to put down her grand-babies to have her picture taken.) I was so glad to get to see my Dad on Father's Day. How can I tell you what an awesome man he is? He would do anything for anyone, and is a true gentleman. He is soft-spoken, (unless you get him talking about George W) and is so thoughtful. We are all so lucky to have him in our lives! Happy Father's Day, Dad!

Jake and his Grandpa Stick are good buddies. Grandpa has always been so good with all children. Jake gets really excited to go see Grandma and Grandpa Stick, and had a great time showing off for everyone today.
Grandpa had some pretty serious health problems in the last month, and it was so great to see him looking so strong, joking, telling stories, and trying to steal kids' food. He is a wonderful Grandpa, and I'm so glad for every chance I have to be with him.Everyone loves it when Grandpa tells stories from his WWII days, CCC days, or any good old days. He is so funny!
Aunt Carolyn put together a really cool scrapbook of Grandpa's days as a Civilian Conservation Corps boy. He was a leader and said he made "damn good money," (his words) for those days: $45 per week, plus clothes, room and board. The other boys made $5 per week and sent $25 home.
Jake, Owen, Finn and Jack on the swing in Grandpa's back yard. (The same one I used to swing on...)

3 comments:

Mrs B said...

What a nice day! It was so good to see everybody. I think we have the best dads on the planet in our family. Wouldn't you agree?

Julie said...

You have such a photographical (is that a word?) Grandpa. He looks picture perfect. You can tell what a great man he is just by looking at him. He oozes goodness. Now I know where you & your mom get it from.

Jami said...

I am so glad you got to spend some time with your grandpa. It is so hard to see them getting older and even harder when we have to say goodbye. Shoot, I am tearing up just thinking about my grandpa.