Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Farm Field Trip

I got to go with Bennett on our first field trip of the year last week. It was a perfect, glorious September morning. (Oh, how I love September!) We went to the coolest place in Hyde Park. It is a cluster of farms that 3 families own. First, we went to Apenzell Farm, where they showed us their various animals. They raise and sell plump little hens and several varieties of turkeys. They also have hens for laying eggs, which they sell. They had horses and rabbits as well. The family also owns Corbridge Construction; they were so nice that I think if we ever build a house we will use them. Anyway, next, we walked up the little dirt lane to Mt. Naomi Berry Farm. I had no idea it even existed, and it is amazing. Bennett has a new classmate named Joseph, and the berry farm belongs to his family! How cool! So the kids got to go out and pick their own blackberries. Awesome. I had to leave before the third stop on the field trip, but Bennett told me about their visit to neighboring Milky Way Dairy. It was such a cool adventure, it almost made me want to become a farmer. But then I remembered how lazy I am and laughed at myself. But so very, very cool.

Kids running free past the turkey pen.

Sorry, Harper, but we will not be getting a pet bunny.  Ever. 
The class checking out the turkeys.  Looking forward to Thanksgiving.  Just kidding- that's kinda creepy.

Blackberry!  Delish!
My big fourth grader.  
She loooooved the berries.
This is a pretty picture, but just know that you should not pick a blackberry if it still looks like a raspberry.

1 comment:

Audrey Seymour said...

what? they have a berry farm in Hyde PArk? Is it open to the public? I am craving it so bad now. the one at the store are yuck!