Sunday, February 15, 2009

Apparently I had a lot to say today.  I think this is my 4th post o' the day.  

I just wanted to fill in some of the details on Jason's recent calling to be the Bishop of the 9th ward, and some of the events surrounding that decision.

Let's start at the very beginning.  When we moved into our cute little house here, we thought it would be a great place to be for 3-5 years.  5 years MAX.  Well, it's been about 7 1/2 years now, and 4 kids later we are still here.  Did I mention this house really only has 2 official bedrooms?  We have had our bedroom in the formal dining room for a few years now.  It has a closet, so technically it can be considered a bedroom.  

Anyhow, anyone who knows me knows that I have been house-hunting for a couple of years now.  And I've been looking very seriously for the last year.  I really wanted to be in a more permanent house before Bennett started school.  When that didn't pan out, I wanted to be in a permanent house before Owen started school.  So imagine my delight when I found the most amazing house for sale, in our price range (sort of) in the neighborhood of my dreams, the Thrushwood-Sumac neighborhood down on the island.  I hate to even list the dreamy details of the place because it makes me a little (a lot) sad.   It was on a 1/2 acre wooded lot with terraced lawn, tarzan swing, forts already built, fabulous, incredible layout, TONS of space (6 bedrooms, 3 baths), and lovely pink draperies throughout.  :)   We were actually really excited because it has not been updated for many years, so we could really personalize it.  Jason and I are very particular, and didn't want anything that had been updated with chintzy cabinetry, ugly tile, etc.  So all in all, it was a complete dream.  Oooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I'm so sad just thinking about it.

Why am I sad?  Because we made an offer on it (a very loooow offer) which they countered, at which point, we accepted the terms, signed all the papers, and were under contract to buy the home.  I was freaking out!  Of course no one in our neighborhood knew anything about this; we were nervous to tell anyone until it all worked out.  So we put our house on the market a couple of days later.  It went on the market on a Monday, and on TUESDAY, Jason received the call to be the new Bishop of the 9th Ward.

Picture my face in the Stake President's office as I am presented with the notion that I would have to say goodbye to my beautiful Thrushwood home and all hopes and dreams associated with it.  I covered my face, feeling a little out-of-body-ish.  I couldn't believe it.  But yet I could believe it.  And of course Jason would and could never say no to this calling.  I wouldn't have wanted him to.  Well, I mean, yes I would have, but not really and truly.  I had a weird plastic smile on as I told him and the Stake President that I would support Jason in this new endeavor. I felt so conflicted.  On one hand I was so proud of Jason for living in such a way that he would be considered worthy of this office.  Of course I will support him 100 %.  But there was a secret side of me wondering, "But what about my plans?  I had a good plan.  It's the perfect time to move.  The perfect house.  The perfect everything."

I felt like someone had punched me in the stomach when I walked into our leetle tiny house that night.  I didn't feel like talking.  All I could see were all the repairs and flaws our house has that I was ready to turn over to somebody else.  Somebody as motivated to give this house a little TLC as we were when we first moved in.  All I could see was our boys crammed in the rooms upstairs, and our king-sized bed filling up the dining room.  I thought about how we can't fit around the kitchen table anymore.  And the need for a new roof.

You might be thinking that then I had a sudden epiphany, and my entire attitude changed to joy and gratitude.  I wish I could say that it did, but no, alas, I cried for many days. I sobbed as I met with our realtor to sign the papers backing us out of the contract and taking our house off the market.  And I had all this guilt.  Guilt, guilt, guilt.  Guilt for not feeling grateful for all the many gifts that I do have.  Guilt that my sorrow was detracting from what should be a better experience for Jason.  Guilt all around.

So it has been a month and a half since this whole thing occurred.  I spoke in church today with Jason, and shared some of my experiences with our ward.  And I was able to be truthful in saying that I am gaining some perspective on this turn of events, and I do believe the Lord knows what really is best for us.  I know Jason will be blessed because of his willingness to serve and sacrifice.  I can't say the same for myself.  I was less willing, but I am trying every day to be more aware of the ways our lives have already been blessed and changed by this experience.  I don't understand it all right now.  I still hate being crammed in our house.  But I am looking at more creative solutions, and really attempting to have a better attitude.  I know this is an opportunity for Jason, and as I said, I am very proud of him.  Basically, I am trying to see the big picture, which I have never been that great at to begin with. But I am trying, and I know it will work out somehow.  How or when?  I don't know.

There you have it.  I don't know how Jason has come this far with a whiner like me.  I sure love him.

10 comments:

Murray Ohana said...

Brooke, I am so glad I checked your blog tonight...I REALLY feel for you. Being so close to having something you have dreamed of and worked towards...and especially something you have waited so long for and then to have to give it up has got to be one of the hardest challenges to deal with in life.

I have a tiny sense of what you are feeling.

Jason and I were planning to build a house here on Kauai...we have the lot, the plans, the permits, etc. We even started the loan process. But for some reason we've felt it isn't the right thing to do at this point. It's something I've been dreaming of and looking forward to, but I can not deny the feelings we've both had. It's been hard for me to accept and to get over the disappointment...especially when I KNOW we could still do it...but I know it's not what Heavenly Father has in mind for us right now.

You are amazing and Jason is so blessed to have you. Not all wives would be as supportive. I'm thinking of you and I hope the disappointment and sadness you are experiencing will be as short lived as possible.

Please tell Jason congrats from us....he will be the BEST bishop! We STILL miss the 9th ward! And you are right...your family will be blessed and rewarded!
Much Love, Rachel

Unknown said...

I'm glad you are honest about your conflicted feelings. It sounds like you waited so patiently to fulfill that dream, the house, and when it finally arrived...wham, you had to put it aside. You know us coming back to Logan was not all roses for me at the time and now I'm happy, but do I ever wonder, "What if?" Heck yeah! Brooke, I hope you get your house and that it's more than you imagined and that when you move into it you can look back on these years as providing insight and joy. Your writing is very beautiful, thanks for sharing this.

Jami said...

Oh Brooke. My heart goes out to you. Your dream of a new house stems way back to my time in the ninth ward. You two are truly amazing and inspirational to me. I can only pray that I would be as supportive. I can see myself saying "Oh, we would have loved to but we have already signed on a house." That's an acceptable answer isn't it???

I hope the ninth ward knows just how lucky they are. You guys are the ROCK of that ward.

Good luck with everything. Luv ya!

Jeff and Rose said...

sigh. I'm sorry about the house. I mean really sorry, as in raggedy, shuddered, half-crying sad!

If you think your the first person to resent your husband's calling, think again. The first Sunday morning Jeff left the house at 7AM and never came home until 830PM--I wasn't resentful I was MAD! I was just starting to feel like I could take a full breath. And frankly, it had been a long $#%# time since I had felt that way...and then, all of a sudden we are expected to take it up a notch (all over again).
You are such a stronger person than me--seriously, I know that I would have said, "shoot, sounds like a great deal, but we are moving next month. Hope you find someone else." It takes a LOT of faith to do what you did--it's incredibly humbling.
I love you. r

Audrey Seymour said...

OK i am the newbie of the block or should I say blog but here's my thought on it:

1/I love your tiny house. I went home and told Scott. "I can see she is an artist because her house is so gorgeous!"
2/You have 4 wonderful boys to put in that tiny house!It makes it alright to be cramped in it...
3/Jason is gone most of the time so really you have a master bedroom with all that space in your bed.
4/I feel so grateful for who you are as a person. I am so glad that I finally met you (not just your face) and getting to know you makes me so excited and happy. Jason is and will be an amazing bishop but you are a tremendous contribution to us (relief society) and my own little world!
5/it gives you more time to design your next house in your head! Right???
6/Having a bigger house means more trouble..really...more cleaning...more opportunities for the boys to break something...and so on!
7/We love you! Endure til the end! :)

Jason said...

love you brooke

Jenni said...

Quite the story. Tyler and I enjoyed reading it - in awe. I have not seen your house in so long. I look forward to seeing the rearranging that has taken place since I was last there.

Becca Hatch said...

I have to be honest- I don't know that I could do what you did. I probably would have said, "Man, I'd love to, but we are moving. Guess God wasn't quite up on that one. Best of luck finding someone acceptable." It's okay to be sad and mad- you DID give up something awesome, but I'm sure it will all work out in the end. God really comes up with this elegant solutions that sometimes take a few years to come about. And if you still feel like moving, I've heard Cedar Hills is WAY nice. xoxo

Megan said...

I had no idea you were that close to moving! I haven't been in your shoes, but I don't blame you for having mixed feelings about his new calling. I think you got it right: Heavenly Father knows all things and having trust in Him is what we need to do. :)

Julie said...

I can tell you right now why you didn't get to move. Because I need you not to move & prayed that you wouldn't. I guess the big guy listens to me more than he listens to you...Okay, maybe that's a stretch but for all my selfish reasons, I'm glad it's worked out in MY favor.