Monday, February 16, 2009

Snow Hike

This is the second snow hike we've been on in about a week.  We have been out walking for almost 2 hours both times.  The boys are champion hikers.  


I love taking the boys out during the winter.  Everyone gets so tired of being cooped up inside, and there is something magical about seeing a once familiar place now covered in snow and ice.

The boys were so quiet as we walked around 3rd Dam.  Bennett spied a muskrat, which I never would have seen, gliding through the water.  We followed it for a long way.  We also saw these pretty ducks, which swam over to us, and slipped and slid up the ice walking towards us.  The boys were cracking up watching them slide around.
Finn fell asleep halfway into the adventure.
Owen is our temperature gauge.  We know it is truly cold if his jacket is zipped up and his hat is on.  It is a battle to even get him to wear a jacket at all, he is so hot-blooded.
The boys were highly interested in checking out some ice.  We found some safe ice on the shallow side of upper 3rd Dam, and the boys had a great time stepping through it, breaking it apart, and sending it out to sea...
We tried to be quiet so we wouldn't disturb this fly-fisher.
Everyone was getting cold and tired on the way back. A coooold wind picked up towards the end of our trip.  But the kids were all smiles as we reached the car and found snacks!!!  Tailgate party!
Mmmmm... His little cheeks were so cold, but he was so happy the whole time.
And to finish off a great day, our friend Audrey Seymour made us dinner, including this amazing bread...  Some crusty herb bread from her homeland:  France!

Hooray for friends and family on a bleak winter day!

7 comments:

Jeff and Rose said...

how are you doing that neat photog? Will you teach me some new tricks?

Mrs B said...

What a nice time!! I really need to get P & I out some more. I'm just so lazy & weary of the cold!! And your pics are gorgeous! You are such a pretty seester. Truly.

Audrey Seymour said...

how do you take pictures of yourself? That is so cool! I love the rosy cheeks!

Jason said...

nice photos with our cheap camera. Looks like a great time. I can see they had some of the big smiles of the day as they dug into the Cheetos :-)

Jenni said...

Looks amazing. This is so Brooke - what you are all about.

Megan said...

I love that you are so outdoorsy and that you teach that to your kids. I need to go outside more.....I fear my girls would not fair as well as your boys do outside, hiking and such......I can hear Addie crying already and pleading with me to carry her.

Julie said...

Evelyn would totally make me carry her the whole time. You are such a good mom & the photos are really amazing, especially that one of you & finn with him gazing into the camera & you with your hot glasses on. BeYOUTee