Sunday, February 15, 2009

Meet the Wyeths

Note: If you don't want a little art history lesson today, just skip right through this post!

May I introduce you to 2 of my favorite artists? N.C. and Andrew Wyeth, a father and son of incredible talent. (By the way, there are other artists in the family as well, but these are my favorite.)

Andrew Wyeth passed away last month, on January 16, and I have been meaning to pay a little tribute to him since then. As is true of any artist, he had his critics, but I want to say that I love his work. I have loved it since the first time I saw "Christina's World" in high school. His paintings connect with people, and that makes him a success in my book. Thank you, Mr. Wyeth, for letting us see the world through your eyes.

To appreciate Andrew Wyeth, it is helpful to understand his background. His father was N.C. Wyeth, an amazing illustrator and artist. You would probably recognize many of his works. I want a whole bunch of them framed for my kids' rooms. His earlier illustrations were of western scenes, cowboys and Indians. He later illustrated lots of stories like Treasure Island and other literature. He did some non-illustrative work as well. Here is a sampling of his amazing skill:
Mowing, painted by N.C. Wyeth, 1907

The Giant, painted by N.C. Wyeth, 1923

Captain Bill Bones from Treasure Island, painted by N.C. Wyeth, 1911

I find it interesting and sad, too, that the elder Wyeth always wanted to have enough money to be able to paint what he wanted and not be tied down by illustration commissions. But he never really got the chance as he and his wife had more children, and money grew tight. His hard work illustrating allowed his talented children to pursue their own dreams as artists and scientists, however. I would like to think that as a father, he was able to find peace in providing those chances for his children, even if he was unsatisfied with his own artistic career.

Side note:  I think this is how a lot of fathers spend their lives.  Mine did.  And I know Jason struggles with this too.  Living the dream versus putting food on the table for your family.

Tragically, N.C. Wyeth was killed in 1945 along with his Grandson when their car stalled on the railroad tracks and was struck by a train. Isn't that a terrible story? Their death greatly affected the artwork of his son, Andrew. Here are some of Andrew's works (again, you will probably recognize some of these):
Christina's World, 1948
I can remember seeing this picture for the first time in High School art class. It had such a powerful effect on me. Isn't it striking? All his paintings are so moody and gorgeous; I can't get enough of them!
Wind From the Sea, 1948

Winter, 1946, 1946

Trodden Weed, 1951

Master Bedroom, 1965


There. You have now had your daily dose of culture.
Don't you feel better?

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I LOVE that "wind from the sea" painting.

Murray Ohana said...

My favorites are the Giant...that is a COOL painting. And you can just feel the wind coming through the window in the Wind from the Sea painting. Brooke, I wish you could be my children's art teacher. I am so clueless about art. I do appreciate it and I have been thinking lately how much I would love to have some of my favorite artwork (copies of course) on my walls. I was just looking at The Kiss by Klimpt (at least I think that's his name) the other day. It seems like we move too often to even hang anything on our walls. We've got to quit moving.

Unknown said...

I lived about 3 miles from Chadds Ford, PA, where Wyeth lived, so I was very saddened when I heard of his passing. Thanks for posting this!

Audrey Seymour said...

yes absolutly because....
I really don't know much about American Art and you explain it so well...Too bad you don't teach anymore...Maybe I'll tell Tracy that you could put together a fireside for the sis on Art! What a great idea!

Jenni said...

When I was at the National Art Museum in DC last summer I was wishing I had you with me.