Thursday, March 5, 2009

Cleanliness.

Last night was bath night.  It is always such chaos, I sometimes dread it.  My bathroom is full of dirty boy clothes, bath toys, wet towels and rugs.  The boys have the grandest time, splishing and splashing, making words from foam letters, dumping cold water from the sink on each other...  I just mostly get irritated.

Much later, after they had all been in bed for hours, I dashed into their room to comfort Jake, who was having his nightly nightmare.  I was struck, when I walked in, by the yummy scent of my freshly bathed and shampooed boys in the dark.  They rustled a little, waiting for Jake to settle down, and once he did, it was so, so quiet.  I wanted to stay in there and smell their hair all night long.

Sleeping children are the most beautiful things.  And perhaps I could chill out a little during bath time.  Clean, scrumptious boys are worth a little water on the floor.

5 comments:

Becca Hatch said...

I need to do the same. I set myself up to fail because I still firmly believe that it is possible to have a nice set of "look at" towels in the bathroom (since the girls share with any visitors.). Must relax...

I agree- there is nothing more delicious than a clean, resting child.

Jami said...

Oh, I think mothers everywhere can feel your pain. I dread the bedtime routine and feel like it takes every fiber of my being to keep it a positive and happy experience. Glad you got to reap the benefits in an unexpected moment of sleeping boys.

Jeff and Rose said...

Oh, the guilt of motherhood. If it's not the "good" towels it's the hand prints on every visible surface...and the peanut butter ground into the stitching on the leather couch...
for me today it was the wiping of the greasy hands on the dark brown wall--instant grease stain!

Jill said...

I think the best part is the gross dirty ring that circles the bathtub when they are done. yuck. Then there is the bucket of sand from their shoes which is now on the floor from playing outside.

Checking on them before I go to bed is my sweetest part of the day. They smell good, they can't sass back and you remember why you wanted to become a mom in the first place. Oh, they look so sweet. Too bad they are just recharging their batteries.

Murray Ohana said...

I've just been catching up on all of your winter fun...that we miss. Days (or nights) at the Beav and hiking in the snow look dreamy. The picture of you kissing Finn on the cheek is precious...you are so photogenic, Brooke and what a beautiful baby! By the way, I love the name Finn, but don't worry I'll try not to steal it. Jason and I are struggling with the name thing...we both kind of like Sam, but the kids DON'T. I might have to start reading through one of those chunky baby name books....again! PS my kids have to shower because our tub is never clean enough to get clean in...I'm terrible.