Sunday, March 29, 2009

Spelling tests.

I've been meaning to write this down:

Owen had his Kindergarten readiness assessment a few weeks ago, and did so great. I wondered about how he would do on the exercise of picking out words that start with the same sound. Turns out he did amazingly well on it. But here is why I wondered if he would get it:

Owen loves to sound things out and try to spell things lately. We've discovered this can be tricky, however, because while he appears to pronounce things correctly, he's really made up his own words. For example, he would NOT believe me when I told him that DRESS and DRINK both start with the letter D. He has always though they started with a "J" sound, like jress and jrink. Which is how they sound when he says the words, but I had not paid attention to it until he pointed it out.

Another example: He recently saw a sign for Subway and said, "Hey, Mom, why is there a "w" in Subway? Isn't it supposed to have a "b" in the middle?"
I said, "No... It's a "w." Sub WAY."
He argued for a second and then concluded, "Hm. I always thought it was SUB BOY. But now I get it. It's Sub WAY." It boggles my mind that he figured that out. Little smarty.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Cute! Way to go! Kinda reminds me of when Sasha got the hang of what rhyming means. She said to me one day, all bright eyed, and excited: "Mom, I know what rhymes with 'bird'". "What?", I say. "'Tird'", she says. Priceless. Will and I still laugh about that one. She is right. The do rhyme! :)