Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Car Talk

So our Landcruiser is in the shop. Bummer. Buckling the 3 kids in the back of the Porshica is not my idea of a good time, even when my stomach isn't big enough to suffocate them while I try to find all the seatbelts. Not that I'm not grateful for the gift of the Porshica, Mom and Dad. We would be in big trouble without it today. And I quite enjoy the upholstery crumbling from sun-damage and peeling white paint like every other white Corsica I've ever seen. American cars... Really, the car is so ugly, but also doesn't seem to want to die, and goes pretty fast. Anyway, on our way home from the shop, Owen was teasing Jacob, which is one of his favorite pastimes. Jake was cranky anyway all day today, and Owen's tormenting was bringing on fits of screaming that I just couldn't handle in such close quarters. Jason sensed my irritable mood right away. The conversation went like this:

J: "Owen, if you keep teasing Jacob, you will reap the repercussions."
O: "What is reaping repercussions?"
J: "Having consequences."
O: "What are consequences?"
J: "Results."
O: "What are results?"
J: "Brooke, why don't you explain?"
Me: "Punishment."
O: "Oh, okay."

On NPR once I heard about a study that said Fathers are so important to the development of their children's vocabularies because they use so many unfamiliar and varied words with them. It said that Mothers fall into the habit of using the same set of words with their children, and don't branch out much. Well, there you have it. It's true.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

That's great! And I can't believe that car is still alive either!

Becca Hatch said...

I love studies that state the obvious. I just read one on MSN entitled, "Men: Not as Smart as they think they are." No kidding.

Jeff and Rose said...

Yeah, except that they start to learn the swear words much faster from their mothers...shouldn't we be able to post that blame somewhere else (based on the frustration of this whole motherhood thing alone).

Unknown said...

Love that you call your car a Porshica. We have an '89 Volvo station wagon that we have yet to register, because it seemed cool in liberal Ann Arbor, but not so cool here. I must say, Steve definitely gets credit for Soph's vocabulary, especially the other day when she said she "did the honors," which means she passed gas. Such a proud moment for me.

Brooke said...

Hey! Be proud of the Volvo, Heather! Jason drove an old beater Volvo wagon that he got for a couple hundred bucks and drove it for years! Volvos are my dream car; I love your silver one. So don't be afraid! Rock the '89 Volvo!!

Oh, and I love the phrase "doing the honors." I haven't heard that, and I like it better than a lot of alternatives.