Monday, November 3, 2008

Election Eve

Don't worry, no political post here.  I am so excited to go vote tomorrow, though.  I had to drive to Salt Lake today, and got more than my fill of political commentary on every station.  It was very interesting. I have been so focused on the national elections that I really haven't thought tons about the local issues.  Oops.  Oh well.  I think I know enough.  Oh, and so so sad about Barack Obama's grandmother's passing.  I wish she could have hung in there for just 2 more days...  But no matter what, I'm sure she is so proud of her grandson.

So, today was a BIG DAY for our little Finn.  He got his first tooth!  He has been a little crabby over the past couple of weeks, but not bad at all.  And today he was a complete angel all day as we traveled to and from Salt Lake, and then to an appointment for him at the dermatologist.  Poor little kid's got baby acne that I thought needed some attention.  So, first tooth and first visit with the dermatologist, all in one day!  I'm sure somewhere down the road he might be having more teeth and skin problems when he reaches the tender teenage years.  If our kids get Jason's teeth, we are in for a treat.  We'll be paying for some orthodontist's yacht.  And if they get my skin, well, we'll be paying for some dermatologist's.  So it goes.  

Wouldn't it be great if we could pick and choose which genes are passed on to our children?  My teeth, Jason's athletic abilities.  Jason's charm and my sense of direction.  Unfortunately, our children may be doomed in the math department, since both of us are severely challenged in that realm.  I was pleasantly surprised tonight, though, when Bennett told me what a great day he had at school because they did lots and lots of math stuff.  He said he loves it.  WHAT?  How is he my child?  But that's great!  I'll probably be able to help him with his math homework for at least 2 more years, and then I'll be paying Andrea to video-conference some tutoring sessions with the boy.

This is a weird and rambling post, but I have to add one more thing to the randomness. Our reason for being in Salt Lake today was to have a new battery put in our car.  For those of you who don't know (or care, really), we got a Volvo over the summer.  We love it, and love that it is still under warranty!  It means, however, that we have to travel to Salt Lake for repairs.  So this morning when we discovered the battery was dead, we took a trip to AutoZone and realized it would be cheaper to drive to SLC and get the battery replaced there, since parts and labor are still covered.  Soooo, off we went.  It turned into an epic event.  2 hours to get the battery replaced.  I was very irritated, but at the same time highly impressed with the waiting area of the Volvo service department.  It was a little different than what I am used to.  It was really clean, for one thing.  There was a big-screen TV, a big basket of free granola bars, fruit snacks and other kid-friendly items, hot chocolate, vending machines, etc.  They gave us a big box of crayons and coloring packets for the kids, and found Tom and Jerry on the TV just for us.  The kids loved it!

With a big, contented smile Owen said to me, just before they finally came to get us,  "Mom, it feels like we are in a hotel because we've been here so long!"  Indeed.

7 comments:

Becca Hatch said...

Bruce apparently know how to work the genetic lottery. He repeatedly said, "I hope our kids get your legs," because he thinks his are too skinny, and sure enough, they've had calf definition since birth.

I think the Volvo waiting room sounds like more fun than my house!

Laura said...

John and I alway joke that if we could pick the traits that our kids get, they would get his build, my height, my metabolism his eyesight (I'm legally blind), and my pancreas. Throw in my thick hair, his math skills and his freak strength and wrestling skills and you've got a perfect little boy.

Mrs B said...

I for sure hope Mr P gets my coordination, math skills & great stomacc. Oh wait.....
And I think I'll go trade my car for a Volvo because the Ogden Subaru waiting (& entire place for that matter) stink. Free snacks- I mean come on- is it really too much to ask when I spend that kind of money at your place?!

Chala Chronicles said...

I knew I was done having kids when I only wanted a girl for our 4th baby and she had to have Christian's personality, I know it sounds like i'm joking- but i'm not!!
When we bought our Honda we were there for pretty much a whole day going back and forth on numbers then all the paper work- and the honda dealership too had a waiting room better than our living room by far!! HUGE flat screen tv, hot chocolate on demand, snacks and games and toys. The kids did not want to leave at night when it was time to go home , seriously, ! The money was well spent on the waiting area at the dealer ship, they will definitely get our recommendation!

Tell Bennett that Christian and Justise's FAVORITE subject is math, isn't that awesome?! I know they are definitely Zee's boy's and not mine. Christian (7th grade) was doing math and I could actually help him, do you know why???? Because I just took that level of math in COLLEGE! Thank goodness I am school again- I would be really embarrassed if i couldn't help my 7th grader! There was a couple of mom's who were taking math to be able to help with their kid's math homework, I thought that was pretty neat. I never would have thought to do that, I would have told my kid's to go talk to their father about math, not take a math class JUST for them!!!

Jeff and Rose said...

Jack inherited Jeff's hair. No one knows what that used to look like--not even me until I scoured through old photographs. The widow's peak, heavy cowlicks...hum, information I wish that I would have known beforehand...ha.ha.ha.
I got a good laugh out of the waiting room story. Lachlan wanted to know why I was laughing and I told her you were getting your Volvo fixed and it took a long time. She faked laughed and said, "oh, Pook get vulva pixed." I laughed again.

Andrea said...

i'm in. video-conference tutoring of your kids will at least let me say hi to you once in a while :)

Unknown said...

I would love Sophie to have Steve's teeth...not one cavity! Do you think I can take our '89 Volvo wagon down to SLC and get treated so well? :) I hope you have noticed how Volvo drivers wave and smile at one another on the road. We are an exclusive bunch.