Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Goodbye, old friend.

Tonight our loyal friend, Lucy Lou left us for a better place. A real farm with wide open spaces to run free in, and lots of dirty socks to eat. Lest you think I'm taking this lightly, I'm totally bawling as I write this; tonight has been the saddest night I can remember.

Sometime around 4:15 this afternoon, Owen came running in to tell me that the gate was left open and Lucy had escaped. I immediately dashed out the door with a piece of bread in my hand to use as bait, and ran down the driveway. This is when I hear the most horrible noises I can even think of: a dog yelping in horrible pain, and a little boy screaming in fear and horror. I started running for 200 East where the sounds were coming from, and saw Bennett rounding the corner, still screaming, face grief-stricken. I knew what had happened, and my stomach tightened like I've never experienced. I ran to Lucy while the boys stood on the sidewalk and watched. A big blue truck was pulled over, along with a small red car. Lucy was still alive when I reached her, but I knew she was not going to survive. Her eyes were glazed over; I'm hoping she was unconscious. I don't think I was screaming, but I might have been. I can't remember. I just held her, aware of the boys across the street, and stroked her, saying her name again and again.

The man who had hit her came over with his cell phone. I called Jason, who was on his way to the bike shop, told him what had happened. I asked him to send for our vet friend, Jason Gibson. Then I called Julie to ask if she would check on Jake and Finn, who I had left at home. It wasn't long after my phone calls that I knew she was gone. Oh, my heart ached! I went back across the street and brought the boys over to pet her and tell her goodbye. The driver of the truck had moved her out of the middle of the road. Neighbors started coming out, taking care of the kids, comforting the boys just as Dr Gibson and Jason arrived. Edna, Julie, and Natalie all came over, and then took the boys home while Gibson looked Lucy over. He then lifted her into his vet truck and drove her to our house.

We buried Lucy tonight, in a special burial place for special dogs. She is resting with the dogs of a few of our close friends, in a beautiful pasture near the animal hospital. The big boys wanted to be there when they buried her. Owen came right home and drew a picture of the event.

I just can't tell you how much the boys, especially Bennett, need your prayers in the coming days. Bennett is so upset. All of us have been crying all evening, and we are all devastated. But because Bennett witnessed her getting hit, I worry that he will take this very hard.

We have had some wonderful friends bring things by: dinner, treats, handmade cards, phone calls. Each visitor brings a fresh flood of tears, not just because we are sad, but because we feel so lucky to have such amazing people in our lives. Dr. Gibson, we thank you for the care you took of us and Lucy tonight. It was so appreciated.

Tonight we looked through our iphoto library and found some pictures of Lucy. The pictures made us all feel better, so I'm going to post a few.

We will miss Lucy so much. She was our camping friend, hiking friend, snow-sport friend, protect-the-house friend. We have loved her for 7 1/2 years now, just 2 years fewer than we have been married. So it really feels like someone is missing tonight.

Bye, Lucy. We love you.



















14 comments:

Laura said...

So I'm sitting here typing in tears. John always says that all boys need a dog. I'm so, so sad that your boys have lost their friend. I'm so sad for Bennett. I know how devestated my kids would be if they had witnessed their dog being hurt and it hurts me to think that your boys are feeling that pain. You are all in our prayers.

Mrs B said...

Crumb bum!! I'm so sorry. I can't even imagine- especially for Bennett. Our prayers are definitely with him & you all.

Mrs B said...

Ya know, she really was a good dog.

Tracy Helgeson said...

Geez, Brooke, so sorry to hear what happened to Lucy. But it is wonderful to to hear what good friends and neighbors you have. I know just what you mean about crying when people come to help. When Ginger was sick last summer, every time someone visited, called or stopped by I got all teary eyed. I know they thought I was a wreck about Ginger and I was, but mostly I was crying because I was so touched by their help. I still get teary eyed when I think about it:)

Bennett will be ok, he has such great parents, friends and family to help him through.

Sarah said...

What a tragic evening for all of you. Hang in there. It's so wonderful that you have such great neighbors.

Becca Hatch said...

I'm so sorry about Lucy! Bennett will be sad for a while, but eventually the good memories crowd out those few bad ones. He will be okay, and won't be scarred for his whole life. It is okay to cry and cry- I was actually blogging about my dear Rusty (RIP) last night, and found myself crying about him FIVE YEARS LATER. We buried him in the yard, and a few weeks later a giant sunflower grew out of his grave. I know Lucy and Rusty are in heaven stealing hot dogs from unsuspecting kids even as we speak. xoxoxo Love you and someday things will be okay again.

Jenn said...

My heart goes out to you and the boys. I am so sorry. I have cried for you and prayed for you. You obviously have such fond memories of her and they will be with you forever. And Lucy will too..after a little while.

Jen said...

Our family was so sad to hear about this. We're thinking of you (and especially Bennett) at this time. Gray and Naomi were at the shop when Jason got the phone call and I contemplated stopping by on our way home but Naomi insisted we wait for a few days and give your family time to work through some of the emotions. Love you guys.

Julie said...

Your pain can be felt 2 houses up. I'm sorry for the way Lucy. That's the last way you want to see an animal friend go. We miss Lucy too. She really was a good dog.

Unknown said...

Brooke, I am so, so sorry for your loss. My tears and hugs are with you. Bennett brought it up at school, poor guy. Dogs have the best place in heaven, because they are the best creatures on earth.

Sarah O. said...

Dear Brooke, I'm so so sorry. I can't keep from crying. Not long after we got Hank the bird cage door was left open and he was inside, since he is trained a bird dog (just gun shy) it is in his nature to hunt. Well needless to say we had 3 birds and now we have 1. The first one he got at night so Pete and I took care of it, we weren't sure how to explain it all to the kids, but the second one was witnessed by James and Savannah, as Hank engulfed Jesse James in his chops. It was devastating for all of us...but especially for James and his bird Jesse James. It was important for us to have the kids help with his burial and such and not to keep the reality of death from them, this helped the healing process, as well as many pictures drawn, and stories told over and over. We are so sorry. Sadness is part of the helaing in this crazy life cycle. Love you guys...Sarah

Andrea said...

i'm so sorry about lucy. it's amazing how much they really are a part of our families, isn't it?

Chala Chronicles said...

I feel your pain...Luv you very much. I watched our dog asia get hit and die. Jason helped me bury him (what a awesome big brother he is!). I cry not for asia, now but for you guys and your pain! I'm glad you were there at Lucy's last moments and that your boys got to see your tender love for Lucy. I know that helped them feel comforted and you made all of the right decisions in a very traumatic situation. You are a good mommy!

Jami said...

Oh I am so, so, sorry. There are just no words. Hang in there.