Thursday, November 20, 2008

Dear everyone,

Thank you for your sweet thoughts. I am so fortunate to have animal-loving friends who understand why in the world I could be so sad over a dog. Bennett seems to be feeling better, although we cried together in his bed tonight. School and friends have been a great diversion for him, and I'm so glad. I, on the other hand, can't stop crying. Little things set me off. It's absolutely impossible to look in the backyard and not miss her. So basically I am thinking of her all day as I look out the back windows of my house. I'll find myself go to turn on the light for her, or look for her at the gate when I pull up. It freaks me out when people come to the door without me knowing, because Lucy usually barked like a maniac when anyone pulled up or walked by. Yikes. So many habits I had no idea I even had. Here's what I wish: that I had sat outside and petted her for awhile that day. I am glad that I fed her the crusts of my kids' peanut butter sandwiches that day. She looooved peanut butter. We used to laugh when it would get stuck to the roof of her mouth, and she'd lick and lick and lick. Awww, Lucy.

The kids keep forgetting she's gone. They are so careful to hurry and close the gate so she won't get out. Owen wanted to play out in the backyard with Rose's kids yesterday and said, "Don't worry! I'll put Lucy in!" Then he looked up at me with big, sad eyes and said, "Oh. Yeah." Mmm-hmmm. More tears.

Anyway, this might be too much information about how much I miss my doggie, but so be it. I miss her.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Brooke, I should read your blog everyday. You write faithfully and so very well. I'm at the Ref Desk and am hoping no students notice tears welling up. I did tell Julie, our new dog-loving librarian, about Lucy. She said she came back from Costa Rica a few years ago with a dog (Dexter, a wonderful, unidentifiable mixture) and a husband. "I still have the dog." That's the thing about dogs. They never leave us. Even when they die.

Unknown said...

So not too much information, Brooke. You have every right to share your feelings of grief and every feeling is completely normal. I think when we get back to our daily routines, that's when it's the hardest, because we do forget and then it hits us and the sadness envelops us all over again. Lucy was greatly loved and now she is greatly missed.

Jenn said...

I agree, It's never too much.

AT said...

I'm sorry about Lucy, too. There is no such thing as sharing too much..the more you talk about it the better. Adrian still talks about our cat that got ran over by a car. He was our first and only pet. I still have thoughts of, if only i didn't let him out that night and just kept Jake in but as time has passed the memories of Jake makes me smile.

Murray Ohana said...

I am so, so, so sorry to hear about Lucy. What a devestating experience for the whole family! You are in our thoughts and prayers!

ChanClan said...

Brooke, I'm sorry to hear about Lucy. I remember when my dog was hit by a car and died. It was probably 20 years ago but it was very sad for me and my family and a great loss! You & your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Megan said...

We just got a puppy for Christmas and he is already a part of our little family! I am sorry about losing Lucy. ((hugs)) to you and your cute boys!