Sunday, November 16, 2008

Logan's got talent.


I was able to help with a talent show for our Stake last night.  It took about a gazillion hours to plan and carry out, and I basically have about 3 terrible, dark photos to show how great it was.  I wish I had been better about documenting it, because it really was a great event.  I was in charge of the displays of all the fine arts, home arts, creative arts, etc.  It was absolutely amazing to see such a different side of people.  They were coming out of the woodwork to demonstrate their filet crochet, quilting, photography, wood-carving, painting, drawing, set design, etc... We really do have great talent in our stake.  It was so fun to see.

There was also a program which both Jason and I participated in, although I have no proof of my part since there are NO photos of it.  Jason was the leader of the Cache Back rock band.  They were so awesome.  They played "I'm a Believer," "Heart of Gold," and "Twist and Shout."  It wasn't mellow either; it was completely rockin'.  I'm pretty sure nothing like it had ever been seen in our stake's cultural hall.  People were absolutely loving it.  Old and young alike were clapping and whooping it up.  I was so proud of Jason.  They really did sound so great.  

My part was tamer, but also very fun.  Julie Kirby and I taught and danced with her Activity Days girls in an Irish dance, and it was the cutest thing ever.  Those girls were so thrilled to be wearing costumes and dancing on stage in front of a huge gym packed with people.  Mostly they were thrilled about the costumes, and they did look so very cute.  But again, no photo.  So sad.  Maybe some kind person will email me some???

Then Bennett took part in the program when they invited all the primary children to come up and sing with the accompaniment of the Festival Orchestra, led by Nancy Law.  It was such a fun experience for Bennett.  He watched all the performances with rapt attention. There was a Tai Chi sword form, a bagpiper, and other cool stuff to watch.  The best part, though, was to watch Bennett smile while watching his dad rock out with the band.  He was clapping and whistling, so so so proud.

A big ol' thanks to my angel mother who took care of the three youngest boys for us that night while we were performing.  Owen developed a weird high fever early that afternoon, and was asleep on the couch for most of the evening.  He definitely wasn't up for a party at the stake center, so I don't know what we would have done without her.  And thanks also to Jaime & Porter, Cami and Dad for coming to watch us perform.  It was so nice of them.  It's the best when your Dad is still proud of you for a dance performance or anything else when you're 33.  I love my family so much!  And finally, I'm so sorry that this talent show put a damper on my ability to participate in my little niece, Clara's incredible, amazing, beautiful princess birthday party Saturday afternoon.  Happy birthday to her and Kate both.  I will make it up to you girls!


2 comments:

Laura said...

Oh my goodness. Sounds like it was so fun! I'm so sad I missed it. I never got to see you and Julie irish dance, and I've never heard Jason sing. Wish I could have been there. Why did you guys wait to do all the cool stuff until after I moved 1000 miles away?

Mrs B said...

It really was a rockin' performance. The old lady in front of us totally started twistin' & shoutin' during that song. It was quite entertaining. Sometimes I wish I lived up there so I could come take dance with you, but my lack of coordination would probably prevent my feet from ever leaving the ground, so nevermind. Your dance with the girls was great & they were so cute. I'm glad I got to see yours & Jason's before my insanely tired, ear-infected son decided we needed to enjoy the remainder of the night in the hall. Oh- but I also got back in time to see Bennett looking so big up there. I can't believe how quickly he's grown up. It was so good to see you, if only for a minute flash. xo