Sunday, November 2, 2008

This is Halloween!

This was a great Hallowen. For those of you who may not know, I really like Halloween. I have so many fun childhood memories of Halloween, and it is fun to now create memories with my own family. By the way, the photo above was taken just across the street. Doesn't it look so creepy? But it's really just Donna's backyard, and an antique iphoto trick or two. Anyway... I like to decorate:


Owen got to dress up for preschool, and went trick-or-treating with his class to all the offices in their building. I love how excited kids are to wear their costumes. Here he is with the carpool gang.

This picture is of our little neighbor girl, who came over just as we were brewing up some homemade root beer. I love this photo! She is such a beautiful little witch!
All the kids were so amazed by the dry ice!
This is a Darren and Missy project called E.T. for obvious reasons. Missy made the dinner in a pumpkin, and Darren drew E.T.'s face. I'm highly impressed with both their skills! As it turns out, their family has all of the same Halloween traditions that we do! But Darren's parents, who usually put on the party for them, are serving a mission in Australia right now. So, we combined forces and had a great night doing E.T., homemade root beer, and a donut fry. Oh, and some trick-or-treating thrown in there too. Thanks, guys! It was a great night!
Stopping by the Mohrs' house. Ruby was a beautiful butterfly. I'm not sure what Jake is saying right here. I think he's saying "Trick or treat!!" really loud.

This is Darren and Jason. That's right. Our Bishop and his first counselor. :) Darren's costume was the biggest hit of the night, and the kids had a great time karate chopping his air suit. He was a very good sport. I am a little afraid of what I'm in for with Jake after hearing him shout, "Look at that big fat lady!" Uh-oh.

The gang out on the front porch just before we left to find some treats.

Lee and his impromptu costume. Rock on. Oh, and his shirt was NOT part of the costume. It was his real and actual shirt for the day. That's right.

More rocking with the boys on the porch.

The donut fry was happening in the backyard all night. Jason thinks he fried up over 100 donuts. I didn't try to count how many people were coming and going all evening. It was so much fun! He made a delicious buttermilk cake donut which we glazed and rolled in cinnamon and sugar. Mmmmmmmmmm. If you didn't come this year, make sure to come next year!
This is Lindsay the donut-glazer and Jason. Lindsay is Lee's "special friend." We love her!
LinkClearly everyone was tired by the end of the night. Lee and Lindsay stayed to watch Nosferatu with us, which was really fun for us. But then again, we're really old, and they are cool young kids, so they were probably bored. But still. It was fun.
A little photo of us after cleaning up the kitchen. Both of us said, "Man, I sure look tired in this picture!" But the funny thing is, we've been saying that about almost every photo of us taken in recent months. I don't think it's that we're tired. I think it's that we are OLD. Getting old is so weird. I don't feel old, but here I am. 33 years old. OLD!
Happy Halloween!

8 comments:

Chala Chronicles said...

I love the doughnut frying tradition!! You guys are awesome-you ROCK as parents, can I come live with you????? I remember my mom dressing up as a witch and coming to my classroom in elementary school with a witch's black pot and serving up "dried ice" punch and her great witch's cackle and how proud I was that she was my mom and the greatest one too!

Andrea said...

love the pictures. i'm sad we missed the doughnut fry -- i think you guys are the coolest neighbors anywhere. can you move here?

AT said...

Yes Brooke 33 is really old! love the halloween pictures. Halloween is my favorite holiday too. The "fat lady" and Jason looked a little too chummy there. We'll have to remember to make it over for donuts next year. Trying to coordinate our 12 year old social life with the rest of the family gets a little crazy sometimes.

Sandra said...

Ahhh. 33-I remember it well. I was so young. Love and appreciate these beautiful days of youth. . .because 40 is so much worse. Notice I changed my profile picture because I felt I was deceiving the public with that sweet young thang and now I am a withering leaf.

Sarah said...

I want to attend a donut fry! That looks awesome. Can I have your recipe??

Mrs B said...

Couple of things: Do you remember the haunted houses we used to do in the garage? I need to call you about some missing details because I was trying to tell someone about it & have lost many memory details.
Also- thanks for the invite. P'shaw. Also-I'm just wondering why you brought up Lee's shirt. Is there something odd about it? I think it's really nice.
Glad you guys had a fun Halloween!

Unknown said...

Brooke, I am worried.If you think 33 is old and I am double that, does that make me the double double toil and trouble OLD OLD witch from Leslie's childhood? You and Jason are making wonderful memories for the kids, and blogging keeps those memories intact. I love to read your blog..and am always made when I forget to and Jason says quietly and without criticism, Mom you should look at Brooke's blog. And I do, and I'm happy!

Jenni said...

I also LOVE Halloween. We were in Logan on Halloween for Tyler's Grandmas funeral. If only I would have known about the donut fry and root beer!!