Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Kudos and Congrats!

Kudos to Senator John McCain for his gracious concession speech last night.  I was very impressed with his words and actions last night.  (If only his audience had been as gracious it would have been perfect.)  I bet he was really excited to get into bed and sleep soundly last night for the first time in many months.  His defeat must surely be mixed with relief. 

Barack Obama undoubtedly has many sleepless nights ahead, and has his work cut out for him.  I am simply grateful to any man or woman who actually wants  the job of navigating our country through the crises we are facing!  I thought the tone of Obama's victory speech reflected his understanding of the enormity of the job ahead.  He was somber and passionate and celebratory in the same speech.  It was so powerful!


If you missed the coverage last night, or just haven't felt a stirring of your patriotism for awhile, you should flip on your television or look HERE on your computer for a recap of last night's events.  I was teary-eyed again this morning watching the Today Show's reports.  

I think and hope the hearts of Americans everywhere are softened today by the historical significance of this election if nothing else.  I even felt compassion towards President Bush as I watched the congratulatory speech he made this morning from the steps of the white house.  Of course he played no small part in the election of a Democratic president, and I'm sure he realizes that.

I look forward to the next four years.  People across the country are motivated and inspired to be better citizens right now, myself included.  People are feeling hopeful, and positive, and ready for the changes our President-Elect has talked about.  The problems he is facing, starting today, are huge, and he is not super-human.  I don't expect him to be able to fulfill all his campaign promises, but I do expect great things.  The whole world does!


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post, Brooke. I hope all people felt proud of our country as they realized the significance of this election. I loved it when people spoke of living through segregation and now being able to say we have an African-American president. Also, the celebrations around the world! I felt the United States was being viewed with much more appreciation.

Julie said...

This is one topic you & I cannot discuss but I will agree that it is a great thing that we as Americans are finally able to elect an African American for our President. That fact alone, gives me a happy feeling in my heart & like many minorities in our country have been saying, they now have no more excuses for not reaching their potential. Our country's history is no longer standing in their way.

Mrs B said...

Sigh...It's been a long road with loved ones on both sides on this one, & it just keeps dragging on. Looks like there will continue to be many conversations/arguments I will have to leave the room for. But I just can't stop thinking about what a monumental year this is & my optimism is hopefully outweighing the chatter. :)

Jenni said...

I really enjoyed both speeches. Both were very inspiring.