Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Highly Decorated.

You may or may not know that I LOVE the art show at the Cache County Fair. (Any fair, really.) In fact, I was in charge of it for a couple of years.  It makes me so happy.  It is a gathering of all kinds of salt of the earth people, untarnished by the sometimes snooty art world.  (Sorry if this offends any of my art-sensitive friends, but can you argue?) I have a hard time articulating what it is I love, but I think it's just the genuine everyday person, heart of America, old-timey feel of it all.  It's the best.  So this year we all entered our work in the fair.  I entered in the professional category and took a blue ribbon and Best in Show.  I was seriously proud, and even shed a wee tear when I saw that ruffly purple ribbon hanging on my "Wellsville Canyon Road" painting.  It is one of my proudest moments.  Just standing there in the dusty shed-like building with my paintings hung on the wobbly peg-board stands that have been used forever and ever, with those pretty ribbons on my paintings made me feel as if I would turn around and see Wilbur and Charlotte nearby.  So magical.  But even more magical? Seeing my kids' faces when they saw THEIR blue ribbons.  I think they are hooked on the fair.  I hope so.









And Owen had just had dental work done, hence the crooked smile.  Ha ha!





3 comments:

Jeff and Rose said...

That's some pig!
I actually clapped for your work in that old barn.

Becca Hatch said...

Congratulations!

I've always thought your work was amazing, but sometimes it's nice to get the "proof."

Megan said...

Beautiful post! LOVE you!!