Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Meet Steve Kyalo

While serving in Kenya, my parents have become close to an LDS man named Steven. Steven is younger than I am, and he runs an orphanage for about 150 kids, where my parents have done various projects for. He began taking orphaned children in off the streets of Nairobi and bringing them home to his wife and children. Eventually they had to move them to a bigger place, separate from their home. What an amazing couple. He spends all day every day making sure the kids have what they need to survive that day, especially in the way of food. He runs a woodcarving shop which sells work to assist the orphanage. My parents absolutely adore this man, and when we found out he was coming to visit Utah, we were so excited to meet him! He came here with another senior missionary couple, Dick and Janet Tuttle (Nicest people ever!) who live in Farmington. We were able to witness Steven eating his first sandwich ever, as well as his first pickle ever within minutes of our arrival. It was hilarious. He liked the sandwiches, but the pickle? Not so much. We had the best visit with him. I got pretty emotional as he told us how special Elder and Sister Olsen are. He told us that my dad often slips him some money and tells him not to let those kids go hungry, which is the most Dean-like thing I can even think of. My dad is probably the best ever. Anyway, it made me miss them, but also made me happy to see how much Steven loves and appreciates them, all the way on the other side of the globe. He showed us pictures of the orphanage and school, as well as the children.  It's really hard to fathom how little they have. They all sit together in the dirt for meals and pass one bowl and one cup around to share.  They didn't even have pit toilets until about a month ago.  (My parents helped dig them, and you know how much they loved that!  A LOT!)  Learning about the plight of these children really was a learning experience for all of us.  We are so richly blessed here, and there's no way to really understand it without seeing the contrast.  I can't imagine coming from Steven's upbringing in Kenya and coming to America, land of multiple car families, dishwashers, hot water straight out of the wall... I'm sure he's changed forever too.
First sandwich:

First pickle:


I don't know why you would want to eat this...

Steven with us, and Steven and the boys with the Tuttles.
Inside the room which housed all the carvings he was here to sell.


Goodbye hugs...


What a life changing day for me and my oldest 3.  

No comments: